hungry plants. post them here!!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok so i know some of you all on here keep carnivorous plants. so lets see them!

im no expert and i ont have much but ill start.and if anyone knows the species feel free to tell me:worship:

View attachment 80697

View attachment 80698

View attachment 80699

i use a bowl with no drain holes filled with peat then topped wwith spangum moss to help keep the peat in. there kept outside and put in the garage for overwintering. i simply fill the bowls up with water till they over flow, then drain out what the peat doesnt absorb. i do this about 2 times a month. and has been very sucessful so far.

Last edited:

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1. Sarracenia purpurea

2. Nepenthes ventricosa

3. Dionaea muscipula

I have grown carnivorous plants for years and have a huge collection, I will post pics tomorrow...prepare to be amazed! {D

Ps. Keep the Nepenthes indoors in the winter, they are tropical and come from mountain forests in the Philippines.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
haha..i knew you would chime in! cant wait to see some. and i have been putting them in my garage for over wintering...that wont work for the smallest one.? and also hows my keeping them? any suggestions?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
also i have som sundews...but there hard to keep alive!

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IME, Nepenthes ssp. have also been hard to maintain!

Hopefully you or Exo could enlighten me. LOL
Nepenthes are a plant that likes bright dappled sunlight, or a window that gets full sun for a few hours a day. They also like a soil that is constantly damp, but well drained, I use a mix of orchid bark and long fiber sphagnum moss. Some of the more finicky species need 80% humidity and a 20 degree temp drop at night to do well, but many don't. There are two types of neps, highland and lowland. Highland neps need temps of about 70-80F during the day and 50-65F at night, lowland neps need temps of 80-90F daytime and no less than 70F nightime.

As far as sundews go, most like to be planted in peatmoss and grown in direct sun, the amount of sun that many require necessitates growing them outside in full sun during the warmer months. Some sundews from temperate regions need a few months of cold dormancy much like flytraps and Sarracenia pitcherplants. Sundews of all kinds need lots of water and like all carnivorous plants should only be watered with distilled or rain water.

Did that help any? ;)

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BEHOLD!!! my little shop of horrors! (part 2 will be posted tomorrow)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow Exo, i think you just enticed me into a new hobby. Those are beautiful! i have had a venus fly trap before, but was dumb and didn't find out how to properly care for it and it died.:8o

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
Ooh I love!

I don't have any carnivorous-type plants at the moment.. But, I do have a greenhouse in the backyard with some Huernia and other Asclepiads.. (Carrion Flowers)
My Stapelia gigantea just bloomed last week and I missed it! :wall:
That's what I get for not going out to the greenhouse more often..

I have the perfect spot mapped out for a bog garden, just haven't put it all together yet.. Hubby seems to think we don't need anything else that stinks or eats bugs.. ;P

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GOSH, Exo, those plants are beautiful! :eek: :clap:
Thanks, they are my pride and joy. :D

I grow most of the neps, sundews and butterworts in a humidified grow chamber in my basement. It provides the humidity and temp drop some of my neps need to make pitchers.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey man...thats quite a collection. very nice:worship: id love to get somemore next year for sure. and for those now wanting some go here.... www.blackjungle.com they have adecent list..and also check out the bog garden there...quite amazing.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oh and exo..since you keep indoors..what lighting setup do you use? and do you feed or not?

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh and exo..since you keep indoors..what lighting setup do you use? and do you feed or not?
The light I use is a Sunblaze T5 HO that uses 8 54W growlight tubes. I feed them the occasional bug, the kind depending on the size and type of plant.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry, but something came up, so I'll have to post the rest of my pics tomorrow. :(

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are awesome. I wouldnt mind getting into keeping them.
Most carnivorous plants are not that difficult to grow, although many of the Nepenthes won't pitcher unles the humidity is 75% or higher.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey thanks moose. those stone mimic plants are just amazing. not sure of the species or anything but wasnt there a new nepithen species discovered about 2 to 3 months ago?...says they can eat rats?