Hungry for knowledge

tnt tomas

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

How's it going? Let me introduce myself, My name is Tomas, I'm originally from Birmingham in England, I live now in Helsinki, Finland.
I'm soon to become an owner of one: A Geniculata, it is 4-5cm, buying from a known breeder who has a very healthy collection.
I'm wondering what size of enclosure is going to be best suited?
Also when keeping juvenile's of this size, what is the best method in maintaining the appropriate temperature? As most heat mats aren't available smaller than 12+10cm.
any help or advise would be very gratefully received.
thanks
Tomas

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, tom. welcome to da board.

well, i'm not too familiar with cm,but i get the idea of the size. i would say that a 5 al terrerium (sp) would be fine. if you wan t gt aten gal for when it's older, that would work fine, also. however, if smbod else disaggrees wit me, go with their inf, cuz i'm just being broad.

kudos on the t!

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sling housing

For a 2 inch/ 5cm sling, you probably want to stick with a container that's 2-3 times it's diagonal leg span (tip of leg I to tip of leg IV on the opposite side) so a large deli container would work great. Make sure it's filled to within about 1 leg span of the lid. Peat or coco fiber are great substrates to use for slings. Makes it easy to keep up the humidity (make sure to have plenty of very smallll ventilation holes too!). Generally, a comfortable room temp will be fine- heat mats can be pretty hazardous to a T in a small container, and the T's instinct is to burrow down to get cool, so a heat mat under the container is not generally recommended. Hope this helps. Tony

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards!!!!!!!! A genic, huh? Good choice. Beautiful tarantula, they eat well and get big. I'm slightly envious, by the way, my male matured last weekend so got sent out to breed, and I miss him!!!
For a baby of that size, a deli container would work well. Remember, tarantulas don't see very well and have to locate their food by vibration. To big a house for your little dude and he will have problems finding his dinner.
Good luck, welcome again, and enjoy the little one, genic babies are super cute!

tnt tomas

Arachnopeon
Many thanks!

Hey thanks for the advice,

Would one of the smallest plastic faunariums/cricket keepers do the same job as a deli container?
Thanks again for putting me at ease.

Tomas

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey thanks for the advice,

Would one of the smallest plastic faunariums/cricket keepers do the same job as a deli container?
Thanks again for putting me at ease.

Tomas
yes and looks better lol i have my 5-6cm Ts in some acrylic cubes . one just molted this morning so prob more like 7 cm anyway the substrate can be coco fibre or peat , and you can hold moisture in there. Generaly room temps is fine unless your rooms get cold then heat the room not the tank.
you can maybe put it in the closet and keep the closet wwarmer if you need to.