Humor me...Most dangerous T?

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I think there are variations in use of this term. And if we are going to discuss use of the term "aggressive" in this forum then we must also expand it to the whole T marketplace. Many vendors use the term "aggressive" for T's that will try to bite you. I personally think it is a good term.

Aggressive = The T that will try to bite you if you get within its sensory/vision range (too close)
Defensive = The T will sit in the same position or retreat while bearing fangs but will not advance forward.
I suppose that's a good point, when selling T's anyway.

Otherwise it is incorrect to say they're aggressive, as they really are just defending themselves because they feel threatened.

I dislike it when people use the word aggressive when talking to people that don't know much about the animals, in particular.

Like my best friends fiancé, asked me the other day.."are your snakes and spiders are aggressive?" (Trying to convince her to come round and get over her fear slowly).

I think it's important to make the distinction that they're not aggressive and not out to hurt you, unless you make them feel "scared". This is often how people start to fear these animals, when people start to throw around terms such as aggressive, or brandish statements such as "they'll chase you round the room".

As it makes it seem as if these animals want confrontation, and want nothing less than to end your life.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hippopotamus are aggressive. T's are defensive. They'll defend themselves and their home if the need arises.

A hippo will actively try and kill you. It will be the aggressor in the situation you find yourself in.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Hippopotamus are aggressive. T's are defensive. They'll defend themselves and their home if the need arises.

A hippo will actively try and kill you. It will be the aggressor in the situation you find yourself in.
From what I've read, S. calceatum can be pretty damn aggressive. Yeah, it will generally be in response to a disturbance but apparently they'll sometimes chase after your ass and go for multiple bites.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive heard the same... i think out of all Ts, S cals are the most "aggressive".

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
That's still defensive though, mate.

Some species of animals are more defensive than others. And will actively pursue you once you've made them feel unsafe. Some will defend their "area", more vehemently than others.

Doesn't mean its aggressive.

It's a bad word to use for an animal that isn't intellectually capable of acting an aggressive manner.

The definition of aggression is such:

1. Feelings of anger or antipathy resulting in hostile or violent behaviour; readiness to attack or confront.

2. The action of attacking without provocation.

Neither of which apply to a T, as they lack the intelligence for point 1, and for point 2, as we know they only defend themselves when disturbed.

"Violently defensive" then

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Just a fun topic: I paired my S. Calceatum today and while moving the male to the females enclosure he turned around and shot up my 18" tongs lightning fast up to my shoulder.
Luckily I stayed calm placed my other hand in his path to keep him off my back and went to place him in the females enclosure and he jumped, I emphasize JUMPED, a solid 24" to the edge of the females enclosure and went to business.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Wow, seeing someone using solid silence around here and not just constant parroting by everyone sure is refreshing.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Do you have a copy of the third (2009) edition tarantula keepers guide? Apparently there is a reference on pg 198.
Not sure if it cites a research paper or not though it might be worth a look.
Cool thanks. I missed your post earlier. I think mine is the 3rd edition so I'll look into it.

Jeff23

Arachnolord

But it is still defensive just like the T. Hippo's don't go hunt for people. People come into their zone which is usually near water. And though the Hippo can out run a person unlike a T, the hippo can't keep up the higher speed for much distance so the chase ends quickly one way or the other.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
But they are so cute & lovely like a sort of huge and deformed French Bulldog :( stop the Hippo hate please, they are our best friends :)
Yes :D They have only killed a couple thousand more people than T's. I don't think they need venom.

basin79

ArachnoGod
But it is still defensive just like the T. Hippo's don't go hunt for people. People come into their zone which is usually near water. And though the Hippo can out run a person unlike a T, the hippo can't keep up the higher speed for much distance so the chase ends quickly one way or the other.
I disagree. A hippo will come after you. It's that simple. You don't have to be close to them. Just around them. There is no threat stance, no warning just a full on charge. Hippos are extremely aggressive.

basin79

ArachnoGod
A hippo. Note the boat has to speed up. The humans on board are lucky the engine had the oomph. Beautiful animals though. I do like hippos.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I do like hippos.

Sure you do. Most people who are out to get the hippos use this tactic. They expose the major flaw in the animal and then give their love to all the hippos of the world ;)

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
A hippo. Note the boat has to speed up. The humans on board are lucky the engine had the oomph. Beautiful animals though. I do like hippos.

Wow, they are pretty fast. :eek: God damn they are fast as sharks.:astonished: I`ll say get a plane and get the hell away:astonished: