Humor me...Most dangerous T?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I have yet to get an H mac or S cal. I do own 3 pokies, and REALLY enjoy them. They don't seem to be OBT like with threats, but they seem to stand their ground if they don't run away at first.
Pokies tend to negotiate out of situations with there camo and speed. There are more docile pokies. P. miranda, P. formosa and P. metallica are calm. IMO P. ornata are the most skittish and throw up threat poses more often. Of course there are always exceptions depending on the Ts "personality".

My 4" F H. mac likes to hide rather than put up a threat. I would be most worried about them making a run for it up my arm and then playing "tag" while she's on my back. She has a tendancy to hide on my back given the chance. :eek: A good hide goes a long way, making it easier feed and water them.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Phlogius crassipes although i rarely hear of bites from this species of T. I have read about that their venom is potent enough to kill a dog or cat within 20 or 30 minutes. And make a person voimit for a couple of hour's at least
Pretty much all cats and dogs are highly sensitive to ANY tarantula venom. Even a simple G. rosea bite can kill your small dog or cat.

(Looking for source)
Not exactly what i was looking for but i think this is relivent for this thread:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=68634

http://img520.imageshack.us/f/pagesfromescoubasetal0fk.jpg/

Last edited:

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
S Calceatum

Supposedly, according to the The Nature Boy, who loved badass T's (the nastier the better), S Calceatum was the ultimate. I've seen a similar thread however, where a highly experienced keeper claimed that S Dichormata was even more aggressive. I'm not reporting from experience (don't even have an OBT), but just from following the forums.

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Harpactira lightfooti is supposed to have "medically" significant venom and is a fairly defensive/aggressive African tarantula. I'm extra careful with any of my African tarantulas and have a healthy respect for them. I own many of the African and Asian species available to the U.S. market and in the past 4 years the only 2 tarantulas who have ever expressed aggression to me are: Pterinochilus murinus and Selenocosmia dichromata. Both of these will not hesitate to strike at me without provocation during feeding. Diane
+1 on that, Diane ... mine are the least aggressive of the lot, I get more response from the cambridgei and albopilosum at feeding time or when I fill their water bowls.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
....... the Brazillian Wondering Spider .....
Just for the record, the spider doesn't "wonder", it wanders. (Not picking on anyone in particular - I've seen this mistake repeated by enough people that I thought I'd mention it.)

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do you know this?
I don't, that's why I said probably but also followed it with:
"There hasnt, to the best of my knowledge, been an extensive comparison of tarantula venom."

What we can find are comparisons between OW and NW but even this is very limited. The Chinese are doing lots of work on Chilobrachys and have found C. jingzhao to one of the most dangerous in China. I have read other reports that state Stromatapelma as the strongest venom but how accurate this is I have no idea, they certainly don't provide the information on the breakdown of venom that the Chinese have provided.

Within the hobby S. calceatum is given by the individual as serious symptoms that require medical attention. This is mirrored in that report and forums with bite reports help to cement this idea. However, S. calceatum was the first tarantula brought back to the UK and Europe, over 300 years ago so its no surprise its reputation preceeds it.

spiderslight

Arachnopeon
i am going to go with pretty much anything Haplopelma. my experience with the few i have messed with is they like to pretend they are not going to come after you till you get close then they are fast, and will bite multiple times.

Louise Nolan

Arachnopeon
Yes, we all know Ts are individuals and there are OBTs that think they are G pulchipes and G pulchripes that think they are OBTs.

My question is this...between willingness to bite, venom potency and volume, speed, "jumping" ability, fang size, and defensiveness/aggressiveness (Again...this is not a thread to discuss semantics) what would you classify as "The Most Dangerous Tarantula"?
I own 2 they are the p.regalis have.maculat

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, we all know Ts are individuals and there are OBTs that think they are G pulchipes and G pulchripes that think they are OBTs.

My question is this...between willingness to bite, venom potency and volume, speed, "jumping" ability, fang size, and defensiveness/aggressiveness (Again...this is not a thread to discuss semantics) what would you classify as "The Most Dangerous Tarantula"?
Generally one have to point at genus poecilotheria, it is here that some serious nasty bite report is.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What of the stories that her majesty may or may not cause hallucinations? A good time for some eh! :troll::troll::troll:
Another valid reason for love the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her :bookworm:

I have heard that speculation as well, of course... but I don't know, my man. Anyway, considering how many wannabe Jeff "the Dude" Lebowsky are out there, it's either a miracle or a pure ignorance fact, that no one, so far, tried the Goddess bite on purpose for the sake 'of science' :-s

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Correct, speed has absolutley nothing to do with it. You will never be faster than a determined spider, so simply focus on venom. The slowest such animals are the most dangerous, that is why they can be slow. A fast spider with minimal venom can not be compared to a slow spider with significant venom.
Almost all of the hot tarantulas, h Mac, s calc, cyriopagopus, ect are all considered some of the worst and are all very fast. I can't think of a single "slow" tarantula with a bad bite.
I see how that thought would make sense to you, but in this hobby it simply isn't true.
My vote is also to S. calceatum, hyper agresive, insanely potent venom, and multiple reports of true aggression ( not just defensiveness). I wouldn't consider pokies since they tend to be more skittish than defensive. Yeah their venom sucks but I don't think they compete with S. Calc or h mac

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Another valid reason for love the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her :bookworm:

I have heard that speculation as well, of course... but I don't know, my man. Anyway, considering how many wannabe Jeff "the Dude" Lebowsky are out there, it's either a miracle or a pure ignorance fact, that no one, so far, tried the Goddess bite on purpose for the sake 'of science' :-s

Be a hero Chris take one for the team. My big girl is timid as a lamb and cowers at every disturbance

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince

Imagine some dealer in a dark back alley with a P. muticus , selling bites for 20 EUR a piece :D.

But, jokes aside, I think the hallucinations some people have reported might be due to high fever.

louise f

Arachnoangel
T`s that i sure wouldn`t like to get bit by.. H.mac, Pokies, P.murinus. I am probably forgetting some. :rolleyes:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Reason for the question? All tarantulas are venomous predators and their venom has more or less effect on humans, canines aso. There are species that are to an extent life-threatening to dogs, but "just" cause immense pain, fever, vomitting, cramping in humans.

Frankly, there's no real way to measure it and personally I think it's pointless anyways. They all deserve respect, period.