humidity

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
what is the best way to measure humidity?
i saw some hygrometer's at home depot but they are kind of expensive and a little too big to put in the smaller tanks,
plus i have several tanks so can i get one and use it for all of them?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
what is the best way to measure humidity?
Don't bother, it's worthless when it comes to Ts. Most species can be kept dry with a water dish. With the rest, you just eyeball the wetness of the substrate or mist them regularly.

Also, no, you cannot put one hygrometer in multiple enclosures at once, unless you know something about space/time that we don't. :eek:

bkirchner81

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
or if you want measure humidity for WHATEVER reason then go grab a lil digital one from a cigar shop for about 20 bucks..

Some people want to keep an eye on humidity, spore- if this guy has a tropical species then it is more than just a good idea.

He didnt ask "is humidity worth bothering?"..

:?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Some people want to keep an eye on humidity, spore- if this guy has a tropical species then it is more than just a good idea.
I'm just trying to save him some money. {D Hygrometers aren't necessary for Ts, and most humidity threads we've had here tend towards that response (also caresheet threads, where the average answer is "the humidity percentages on those things are absolute bunk"). Wet substrate and/or misting when necessary are just fine, especially if you use something like peat moss, which is very easy to see when it's drying out. :)

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i use hygrometers on my T's that are from either very dry or very humid environments. exaples...h.lividium, p. murinus. you can get them from petland, and online pretty cheap. they are made by exo-terra and go for around 7 bucks a piece.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm with Mushroom Spore on this one. I can't think of any reason anyone would really need to know the exact humidity of their enclosure for a tarantula. I know that a lot of people keep their enclosures dry, not me though. I overflow the water dish so that there is a gradient, one side damp, one side dry. It's been working well for me.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i use hygrometers on my T's that are from either very dry or very humid environments. exaples...h.lividium, p. murinus. you can get them from petland, and online pretty cheap. they are made by exo-terra and go for around 7 bucks a piece.
Hate to say it those hygrometers are worth <feces>. We used them at work for a while but didn't trust them. We put five in one enclosure and all five read differant levels. They weren't even close to each other. Most T's can survive just fine at room level humdity's. As long as there si a large water dish there should be more than enough in the air.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hate to say it those hygrometers are worth <feces>. We used them at work for a while but didn't trust them. We put five in one enclosure and all five read differant levels. They weren't even close to each other. Most T's can survive just fine at room level humdity's. As long as there si a large water dish there should be more than enough in the air.
they seem to work well for me...i know they arent going to be exact but they give a good ballpark reading. i have a digital hygrometer that i use to periodically check them as well...but the cost of putting digital hygrometers in all of my T enclosures would be enormous! so i check them individually and compare to the exo-terra hygrometer reading and base my level off of that.