Humidity

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
i think I've got this right. I shouldn't worry about my T's humidity. I just need to make sure they have access to water. Is this correct?

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Okay.
Current T's (my husbands)
Brachypelma vagans
Grammostola pulchripes

Soon to be added to the collection (if all goes according to plan)
Brachypelma smithi
Brachypelma albopilosum
Avicularia versicolor

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
All the T's you mentioned, if at least juve/adults (slings are more delicate) are perfectly fine with an always full water dish :-s

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Albopilosum, smithi, and versicolor will be slings. (I think)
The "Brachys" are hardy and easy to care for, even as slings. The whole genus of Avicularia however are much more delicate, especially as slings. I´m sure someone here would give you some advise on how to care for them, though. (I´m not into Avics myself).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've yet to come across a sling that doesn't need at least some supplemental humidity. Some are hardier than others, sure, but almost all slings need some extra humidity.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Albopilosum, smithi, and versicolor will be slings. (I think)
brachy slings are super easy, for avics i have only had 2 slings, both versis. my first one died nearly 4 years ago but this one is doing great. high vent, mainly dry sub, water bowl, temps 70+.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Okay. Just enough to darken it a bit? Forgive me for all these questions. I just want to get it right.
You can also help that 'humidity part' using a little piece of sphagnum. However yes, just an eye to slings and you're done, trust me nothing impossible, just a bit if the water dish is present :-s

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Should I overflow the sling's water dishes a bit? Or is misting better?
Misting is great for providing water to slings that are too small for a water dish, but not great for providing humidity. If it's humidity you're after, then stick to overflowing the water dish.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I just stepped in to share a random opinion. I have noticed that folks starting out with avics have a more positive and successful experience (generally) when they start with a somewhat larger avic. I personally started with a sub adult avic and I believe that if she had been a sling I would have killed her with my inexperience. Avic husbandry is a fairly specific beast with a narrow range of tolerable conditions. Juvie and sub adult avics are a touch more forgiving while you're dialing in husbandry. Avic slings don't generally survive husbandry hiccups. From my first avic on I have gradually decreased in size adding another sub adult, then a juvie, and once I felt solid and had success with juvies then I moved to slings. It was sort of a process obviously but I have not yet experienced a single avic loss across the full spectrum of sizes and several species within the genus. I adore the entire genus and want every keeper to love them just as much. I'm off to be random in another thread.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I just stepped in to share a random opinion. I have noticed that folks starting out with avics have a more positive and successful experience (generally) when they start with a somewhat larger avic. I personally started with a sub adult avic and I believe that if she had been a sling I would have killed her with my inexperience. Avic husbandry is a fairly specific beast with a narrow range of tolerable conditions. Juvie and sub adult avics are a touch more forgiving while you're dialing in husbandry. Avic slings don't generally survive husbandry hiccups. From my first avic on I have gradually decreased in size adding another sub adult, then a juvie, and once I felt solid and had success with juvies then I moved to slings. It was sort of a process obviously but I have not yet experienced a single avic loss across the full spectrum of sizes and several species within the genus. I adore the entire genus and want every keeper to love them just as much. I'm off to be random in another thread.
Thank you! I appreciate your suggestions. The reason I'd go with a sling is because it's within my price range. I may reconsider. I don't know.

Sana

Arachnoprince
My first avic was a WC LPS A. avicularia sub adult that I snagged for $20 from our good exotic pet store. I go back and forth on my feelings regarding WC specimens. If I ever form a solid opinion for or against we can jump off that bridge. I still see WC avics come in at that store a lot and they are still inexpensive. I know that isn't the species under discussion but they are an excellent option for a first time avic keeper as husbandry is basically the same across the genus.