Humidity

xLoydx

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I recently changed the substrate and the humidity did go down but now has rised again and is on 90%, was on 100%. I know this is bad, what what should i do? It's not going below 80%

Thanks, xLoydx.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Pet store hygrometers aren't very accurate, go to a cigar shop and ask if they have any for sale like this one.

xLoydx

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replys.

Yes the spider is in there, i had some other subtrate in there but changed it a few days ago the humid was around 60% when the old substrate. This is the substrate i used: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Rep-Spider-Substrate-litre/dp/B00393LEJ6 But i noticed the humidity had gone really really high its like 90% was on 100%, but i thought it would just go down after a while it has gone down to 90%

The substrate is not wet at all its just right out of the bag right in there. Cannot see what the issue is but the humidity is not moving at all and its been around 2 weeks and is still on 90% the temp is fine.

I'll take a picture if you like.

xLoydx,

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can you post a pic of the enclosure you have it in? Maybe you don't have enough ventilation?

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can't really determine if the humidity is too high if you don't know what sp. it is. There are some sp that would do very well at that humidity level. What species are you putting in the enclosure?

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is that exactly? I personally use normal peat moss from garden stores(without any aditional igridients) or exo terra plantation soil. If its the latter, I let it for about few weeks to dry up, if it is sunny and warm, I leave it on the sun to dry up.

xLoydx

Arachnopeon

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I can tell you that those particular humidistats are unreliable from personal experience. I put one in an incubator, on the wet paper towels, and it told me it was 60%. I wouldn't be worried about the reading. For it to be 100%, the sub would pretty much have to be mud.

I can also tell you that an exo terra has excellent ventilation, so you can leave the substrate in there to dry on it's own.

I can tell you that that cage is not very safe for a tarantula that small. A fall from such a height can seriously injure it, and I will no doubt be climbing around since you've rehoused it. Find a smaller cage and Make sure the height from the sub to the top is about 1.5 spiderlengths.

When it's larger you can put in in there, but you will have to have sub as high as it will go, and furnishings to cushion or discourage climbing and falls. The screen may be an issue as well.

Good luck!

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those exoterra hygrometers are pure crap. I bought 6 of those and all of them show different humidity. I put 2 of them next to each other in a semi dry tank and one showed 90% and the other 20%. So if you want accuracy buy the cigarr variant or get the ones they use for breeding chickens

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think B. smithi is a species with which you would need to fret over the humidity, anyway. Save yourself some money by not buying a good hygrometer and throw the pet store one away.

xLoydx

Arachnopeon
Hey all,

Thanks for your replys i appreciate it.

Yes, I have put more subtrate in so the tarantula doesn't fall now because actually it does climb around a lot and tend to climb up those plants and you're right i wouldnt want it to fall. Since i have not long had this tarantula around 5 months, should i go ahead and change the cage or not? Because its settled in now perfectly and seems fine.

Thanks for telling me about the exoterra hygrometer, I'll consider buying a new one right away once i get time probally spend a little more on what around £10-£20 i dont mind its perfectly fine, i just want my T to be fine as i really care about my pets.

Will that substrate me fine then? or shall i go buying some other. I got told to change it from a few people on the forum due to the old substrate having lots of rocks/stones inside it and charp objects. I went to quite a few place's in the UK and couldn't find any organic substrate at all so i just went ahead and purchased that prorep one. Also is it normal for the substrate to have things growing on it? Plants, etc.. It also has some kind of fur groing on it also. Normal i guess?

The substrate im using now says:

''ProRep Spider Life is part of the species-specific life series of substrates and has been created to meet the needs of spiders and scorpions originating from humid habitats, including burrowing species. It is a blend of ingredients that provide the ideal mix of structure and moisture retention whilst promoting natural digging and burrowing behaviour.''

So i would of thought it would of been fine.

xLoydx,

Last edited:

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just buy regular naturel peat from garden shops, perfect substrate for burrowing and doesnt cost much at all. The only thing you need from petshops would be the terrarium.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yes, I have put more subtrate in so the tarantula doesn't fall now because actually it does climb around a lot and tend to climb up those plants and you're right i wouldnt want it to fall. Since i have not long had this tarantula around 5 months, should i go ahead and change the cage or not? Because its settled in now perfectly and seems fine.
Even if you make the sub as high as it will go, it is still much too high for a spider that size. As he get's bigger, he'll only fall all the harder, so yes, I'd definitely rehouse him if I were you.
You've recently changed the substrate anyway, so as far as your spider's concerned he's in a new place.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
It will dry leave it alone but I keep my adult Brachys bone dry with a water bowl and mist once a week they dont need very much humidity.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all,

I recently changed the substrate and the humidity did go down but now has rised again and is on 90%, was on 100%. I know this is bad, what what should i do? It's not going below 80%

Thanks, xLoydx.
what species is it?