Humidity to high for a A metallica

fenhawk1

Arachnosquire
hi I have a Avicularia Metallica, ( or thats what my LPS told me) and i am keeping her on vermiculite, with a wide water dish,and atm the walls are very damp and misted, i keep having to open the lid to let some humidity out, i am wondering how much humidity is too much?

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find keeping them just off dry has more success than keeping them wet.
What are you keeping it in? It sounds like you need to improve the ventilation especially as the lack of such causes death with Avics.
Post a pic up if you have one

fenhawk1

Arachnosquire
ok thank you i shall move her into a new enclosure with much more ventilation

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you have condensation on the inside of the container then you need more vent. Ventilation and humidity are the key for Avics. Humidity with stagnant air can be quite detrimental. Higher humidity is more important for young spiders than adults, though.

You don't want an adult in a dry cage, of course but if you just keep the sub moist and spray the walls every few days then you should be fine.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mold is my worst fear. its worse then the wet.
For the most part, mold is harmless. It is very rare for it to be on a tarantula and causing problems, from what I have read. It isn't great to have in an enclosure and should be removed upon discovery, but it shouldn't be your worst fear. We simply remove it and the substrate surrounding it and watch to remove any that the spores spring back up. If the enclosure is truly too humid, just add more ventilation and quit adding water to it for a week or so, to let it dry out. Then go back to moistening a portion of the substrate once a week.

fenhawk1

Arachnosquire
thanks all i will just keep her in an enclosure with a wide water dish and a moist substrate

webbedone

Arachnobaron
i would just let water dish overflow and that would probably be enough

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would just let water dish overflow and that would probably be enough
That's what I do, or I just wet the corner of the strate in the cage and then just rotate corners when I water them.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What i did for both my A. avic. and A. metallica is put a 1/2 inch layer of aquarium gravel under the sub and moistened the whole thing thoroughly. Lots of ventilation as well. i almost never even have to wet the sub anymore and i never ever mist the enclosure. They each have a small water dish attached near the top of the enclosure. No problems.