Humidity Tips

will

Arachnopeon
Good day everyone. I already done my homework but I know I wouldn't still be satisfied until I got personal feedback, tips and opinions from other enthusiasts who are long enough in tarantula keeping.

Anyway, I won't keep this for too long now, can I ask for your tips on how you maintain a good humidity level in your enclosures w/o using any gadgets like humidifier, etc...

Thanks! {D

BillieJean

Arachnopeon
If a species needs very high humidity, you can pour or spray some water on the sides of the container. Also, be sure to have some holes for ventilation in the container to prevent mold.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
I don't know where you live but in my house all I need to do is add a shallow and wide water dish in the enclosure to get 60%. I can mist, cover the top or change the subsrate to make it higher. Haven't needed it to get lower yet but I could probably get a water dish with less surface area.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
To increase humidity, you can:
  • Provide a larger water dish, or add another
  • Retard some/most of the ventilation
  • Dampen a part of the substrate (I've been able to reach ~80%+ without having to do this)

Misting is ineffective IME if you want to maintain a humidity level for more than a few hours/days. I've personally found cutting off some of the ventilation to be the method that is most effective for the long term.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
For those of mine who require higher humidity, I keep a water dish, keep part of the substrate damp and if needed will cover some of the ventilation holes to raise it. I don't go crazy with it though, I find mine have done just fine with a water dish and damp substrate.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For those of mine who require higher humidity, I keep a water dish, keep part of the substrate damp and if needed will cover some of the ventilation holes to raise it. I don't go crazy with it though, I find mine have done just fine with a water dish and damp substrate.
To add to Shell, I rotate corners of the substrate that I soak down to help eliminate molding/musty issues.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
To add to Shell, I rotate corners of the substrate that I soak down to help eliminate molding/musty issues.
I do that also, just forgot to mention it. I have only had mold issues once, and it was entirely my fault. Now that I pay more attention to these kinds of things, I haven't had an issue.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IMHO, Unless the species is one of the few THAT ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE HIGH HUMIDITY.(IE. Theraposa sp., Megaphobema sp....ect..) dont stress on it to much.

just soak the sub once a month...or every two weeks. I dont mist(except for slings for water to drink) I dont stress it. I dont even really stress it with My T. blondi or M. robustum. I just make sure their substrate stays moist at all times. literally I pour over 12 oz of water in there tank ever...3 weeks.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In my avics vivariums I use clay backgrounds, which need to be kept moist so I spray them with a big pump garden sprayer every day or two. Between the clay and the live plants, it keeps humidity up pretty well in their tanks.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What r you keeping? Then you will get better responses.
I don't worry bout humidity with any T till the winter rolls around, then I use a humidifier. A water bowl solves all your ills unless we are talking some T's with unique requirements.

PIG-

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What r you keeping? Then you will get better responses.
I don't worry bout humidity with any T till the winter rolls around, then I use a humidifier. A water bowl solves all your ills unless we are talking some T's with unique requirements.

PIG-
Yep.
I've never kept any T that was particularly sensitive to humidity, and never
get all the dither over it. I mist now and then when I notice things getting dry.

Were I keeping a Therphosa sp., or H. hercules then these two would be exceptions and require some extra attention.

In winter I pay more attention as well, and mist once a week or so.

Also I don't keep my T's in enclosures with ridiculous and unnecessary
amounts of counter productive cross ventilation as seems to be in fashion nowadays. This helps quite a bit.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For ones that like humidity, I pour water in the waterdish to overflowing and then some. On very hot weeks when the cages lose humidity quicker, I put a towel halfway over the cages that have the most ventilation (the Kritter Keeper types).