Humidity questions for A. Metallica

Disboard

Arachnopeon
How frequent should I put droplets of water for my A. Metallica sling? It's still 1" and it seems kinda happy. But I read online that Avicularia slings are very sensitive to ventilation and humidity I currently put around 3 droplets of water in its web every 2 days. I keep it in a small temporary enclosure with cross ventilation and it has a mini ceramic heater that keeps it warm. Would the heater affect how I should control the humidity? My hygrometer/thermometer is still being shipped but I'd estimate it to be kept at around 75-79 degrees Fahrenheit. I have a mechanical timer that turns the heater off every few hours to let the cool in. Should I change this? My heating bulb is coming with the hygrometer. Would it be better to just use the lamp and get rid of the ceramic heater? I'm planning on keeping the heater for my slings and having the lamp for the juveniles-adult Ts should I go through with it?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Its best not to aim for a specific humidity number. Stick plenty cross vent and a shallow water dish in and it should be good with a few droplets a week on the webbing

Hygrometer is unnecessary stress. Lamps are useless too unless your T room falls below 17C regularly. A heat bulb or mat is a good way to dry out your enclosure, dehydrate and possibly kill your T.

I live in Scotland and I dont need any added heat apart from maybe a space heater in the winter in the T room to heat my own collection. But thats because our winters are savage here. You are in Texas? I wouldnt worry about heat or humidity tbh.
IMG_7152.JPG IMG_7153.JPG

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
and it has a mini ceramic heater that keeps it warm
that can kill your Ts

Would it be better to just use the lamp and get rid of the ceramic heater?
Would be SMART to get rid of both

So do you think I can just keep all my tarantulas in around 74 Fahrenheit?
We don't think...we know on this one.:D

Yes

I keep all my Ts, and my numerous Avics at 72-74F day/68-72 night, just ambient room temps.

Get your T a water bowl, but never rule out an Avic won't use the use bowl either, sometimes they seem to "forget" or not use them EVEN if they have used them previously.

You give them water droplets via syringe or dropper (for some).

You KNOW when to give them water generally by paying STRICT attention to their abdomen size. Too small they need water and or food.

Lastly, no matter how fat an abdomen is, a T may still drink. I had a B. albo go w/out food for 18 months, but she still drank.

I've also had Avics which had reasonable sized abdomens not eat for a while, like over a month (unusual based on my FEEDING RECORDS- they are important). But once they drank some water, a day later or so they back to eating.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
So do you think I can just keep all my tarantulas in around 74 Fahrenheit?
There isn't many t you can't keep at 74 degrees. That's a really good number. That's even as good temp to raise a sling.

Good advice from viper and Kezy. I'm in 100% agreement.

When that hygrometer comes, just send it back. There is zero reason to measure humidity numbers. Just keep ventilation good.

Its best housed in a 16oz deli cup, with a large piece of wood, surrounded by plants...with a water dish...like this.

Last edited:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When that hygrometer comes, just send it back. There is zero reason to measure humidity numbers.
Couldn't disagree more. :bored:

Gotta keep those cigars fresh... :cigar:

Going to agree with everything else ( ;) ). Go grab a water bottle lid.