Humidity help.

Devourthedead420

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased an Emperor scorpion and I'm having difficulty keeping the tank humid, I'm having to sorry it down about every hour to keep it at a suitable level. Should I use sort sort of moss or would a humidifier be a good idea ? (Picture of scorpion included just because )

Attachments

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Moss works good. It holds moisture really well and so does bark hides. I try to spray these down the most. Honestly you can just pour a bottle of water in there if you have a good amount of substrate and the humidity should stay up. I have asian forest scorps, the temp/humidity is the same as emps and i dont use a humidifier. Ive heard some dont work for long or break easy so I'd definetly read the reviews if you go that route. Me, I just pour water directly on the substrate so it absorbs well and use a 50 watt. bulb for a nice warm temperature. It's worked well for me. 80-90 degrees with 80% humidity.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I recently purchased an Emperor scorpion and I'm having difficulty keeping the tank humid, I'm having to sorry it down about every hour to keep it at a suitable level. Should I use sort sort of moss or would a humidifier be a good idea ? (Picture of scorpion included just because )
Help us help you, share a picture of your setup and we can suggest adjustments if neccessary.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Mixing substrate with peatmoss, adding sphagnum moss, and drilling holes on the sides instead of on the top as ventillation all help mantain humidity.

Devourthedead420

Arachnopeon
Mixing substrate with peatmoss, adding sphagnum moss, and drilling holes on the sides instead of on the top as ventillation all help mantain humidity.
I'm planning on using plexiglass glass on the top and drilling holes in it. I can't drill holes in the side of the enclosure as it is glass. Also another question is it a better idea to stick the heat mat on the side ?

Attachments

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
I'm planning on using plexiglass glass on the top and drilling holes in it. I can't drill holes in the side of the enclosure as it is glass. Also another question is it a better idea to stick the heat mat on the side ?
Nice dinosaur in the enclosure, is that exotic too? :p

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
On a more serious note though, cover and glue the top with plastic cut a hole in the middle of the plastic to allow less ventillation going out all into one hole. Maybe just tape it, so you can take it on and off to feed. This is to allow less water to leave the tank making it more humid.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
How much more should I add ?
I would offer a good 7/8 inches of slightly moist/moist substrate (here depends, I consider always where someone lives) a piece of cork bark for hide, and a water dish, always full.

Humidity: I love to mix (when dealing with inverts that need a boost on the humidity part) just a bit of vermiculite (the fine grain one) in the substrate for mantain the humidity level, this works for me. Then, when needed, I pour room temperature water directly in the substrate with a plastic pipette, or a syringe.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How much more should I add ?
Pandinus imperator are burrowers, they need allot of substrate to create their tunnels and to maintain humidity. The ambient humidity isn't a problem if you have deep and moist substrate. At least 5" of packed down coco fiber or peat moss, the more the better. Since you have a front opening enclosure you would need to make the substrate much higher in the back, kind of like a plateau.

Devourthedead420

Arachnopeon
Pandinus imperator are burrowers, they need allot of substrate to create their tunnels and to maintain humidity. The ambient humidity isn't a problem if you have deep and moist substrate. At least 5" of packed down coco fiber or peat moss, the more the better. Since you have a front opening enclosure you would need to make the substrate much higher in the back, kind of like a plateau.
Thanks !