humidity for P. murinus

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i just recently aquired a P. murinus and i have been told by one person that they prefer a drier environment , whila another person has said a more humid environment is desired . could someone please tell me which is correct ? thanks in advance .

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have kept all my pterinochilus species dry and never had a problem with molting. just make sure they always have access to water with a shallow dish. put it on the other side of the cage from the burrow/hide, as they tend to web it up, thus draining out the water. they hate misting and/or wet feet, so dry is the way to go.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They do prefer dryer conditions. They seem to thrive in harsher condition when lots of T's would not thrive. A breeder friend of mine has had quite a few OBT's die from keeping the substrate too moist. He let it all dry out and kept it dry and they are all doing fine. I don't even overflow the water dish of mine but I do make shure water is accessable.

Last edited:

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definitely go dry. My girl loves her parched substarte. The only humidifying I do consists of overfilling her water dish.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
go with dry my one loves it that way as long as he / she / has a water dish then thats the way to go good luck with it +++ phil

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Obt

I keep mine dry too. They seem to hate moist substrate and will BITE you if you disobey their wishes. Don't anger the beast!:evil:

BertWright

Arachnopeon
Dry for P. murinus

My female prefers DRY conditions - they web like crazy, are proven escape professionals, can relocate at the drop of a hat as they're fast, and when she is held, it is on HER terms, no doubt. Great spiders and beautiful orange with a black and orange design on their carapace. I was told to keep them dry. I have always heard that they are to be kept dry, and when kept in their preferred environment, they are one of the toughest most hardy tarantulas around. And yes, make sure they have water at all times. Great spider.

Bert Wright
Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea, my little guy hates when the substrate is damp, so I leave the mesh-topped 5 gallon pretty darn dry. I usually top off the water dish and leave it at that, along with the occasional very light misting every 2 or 3 days. Ive seen mixed information online in regards to their humidity preferences, but based on my experience, they like it quite dry.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Like everyone has mentioned, keep them dry and have water available.

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks yall . i will be keeping mine dry . i already have a water bowl in with it so i guess i'm good to go then .

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i just recently aquired a P. murinus and i have been told by one person that they prefer a drier environment , whila another person has said a more humid environment is desired . could someone please tell me which is correct ? thanks in advance .
I keep two of these guys (one Murinus and one lugardi) I fill up their water dishes and that's the only humidity I use....However, they get more humidity when they or some of my other T's are going through molts because since all my Ts are in a walk in closet when one of them is about to molt (meaning like right in front of me) I throw on the humidifier which usually makes it 80% + humidity in there but that's not every day or even that often.