Humidity ? for B. Vagans

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My vagans is around 2-3 inches now and ready for a new enclosure. I have a 12in sq exo terra that is set up as a terrarium. The humidity ranges from 80 to 90% with day temps of 78 F and drops to 70 F at night. The enclosure has good ventalation I assume because no condensation forms on the glass and there has never been any mold or fungus growth. I found some info on the Vagans stating they have a med to high humidity requirment and shold not drop below 70%. But I am wondering if 80 - 90% would be harmfull.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my vagan's on the dry side, I have a cork bark hide and a water dish and the substrate is kept dry.....

Regards, Mike

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In their natural environments B. vagans humidity is usually between 60-100%. They really do fine in everything from savanna to dense tropical rain forest. They are not built for low moisture environments but are extremely tough and will survive what ever you do to them. I have seen them in north costa rica, with 1200mm of rain a year.

You will need to provide a lot of air flow. So unless your house is 70% humidity you need to let a lot more air circulate through the container. They need air flow.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanx Dark when you say airflow would that be constant movment? The Terrarium has a screen top and the humidity is maintained by the use of a false bottom. Basically its a 2 in layer of clay balls covered with a piece of screen then 3-4 in layer of dendro bedding. The water wicks it's way up into the bedding. The plants and mosses in the terr require good air movement as well and the are all doing well and growing including a jewel orchid which requires proper air flow. Really don't want to add a fan either. I have seen pics on this site of t's in natural looking live environments. I think the vagans would love his new home but I just wana be sure not to harm the T.:D