Humidity for A. bicolor.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently got a pair of A. bicolors and have been misting about every 2 to 3 days. Anyhow, the female is a little "ashy" looking like she's a little dry. Is that normal, or does it sound like I need to up the humidity? If it needs to be upped, what's ideal?

Atrax

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Gary,

Misting of the A.bicolor is not strictly necessary on a regular basis. They are basicaly to be kept as "desert species." If I had to make a guess as to the source of the "ashy" appearance, I would guess that the addition of water to the sand (you're using sand, I assume) is causing the finer sand particles to coat her and make her dirty.

Cheers,
Dave

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the Tip Dave! I do have her on sand, but it's not the real fine sand. I believe it's calci-sand and is about the courseness of sugar. There's also about 30% peat mixed in. I'd better ease off on the misting then, huh?
Thanks again.

Atrax

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I'd lay off the misting.

Incidentaly, how do you find the mixed substrate? Does the peat tend to sift out? Can it hold a burrow?

Cheers,
Dave

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Dave.
I don't think I have enough peat in the mix for it to hold a burrow. It doesn't seem to be sifting to the top as of yet but it's not been very long. I haven't seen that with my C. exilicauda and I keep them on the same mix. Of course they're quite a bit smaller and don't tend to "excavate" much.
May I ask what substrate you use for your Androctonus?

Atrax

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Hey Gary, Dave

I have about 20% peat in my opistophthalmus container and it does not seem to seperate out. The O. sp has a nice burrow that has yet to collapse though I do add about 1/2-1 cup of water per week. Thats the one where the burrow was visible in the front of the glass Gary. I also have about 10% sand...some kitty litter (though I would recommend something finer-bentonite) and the remainder is sidewalk underlay(mostly small gravel/fine sand/and I think some clay).

John
; ' /

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Atrax,

What proportions are you using? I had considered a sand/peat mix at one point for my Hottenotta, but the enclosures weren't large enough to benefit from the weight reduction (I was thinking 50/50).

My Androctonus are on playground sand that was wetted, packed into their enclosures, and left to dry about a week. All the Androctonus have chosen to dig scrapes, but my P.transvaalicus has dug some very well formed burrows. She still lives under the rock, though, so I suspect she doesn't find her substrate deep enough.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Now how the heck did that happen?

:?

John
; ' /

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
John,

Regardless, it seems that Scott took care of it. Where do you get your sidewalk underlay in smallish quantities?

Cheers,
Dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Atrax
I'm using about 30% peat to 70% sand. Whatcha think?
Does it work? If it does then I think it's fabulous. If it doesn't, I think it's horrible. Unlike with forest scorpions, I think you can get away with a lot more variation when dealing with the desert/scrubland species. Humidity concerns are minimal, and if they can't burrow they can always dig scrapes.

When I was taking pics today I noticed one of my A.bicolor had dug a proper burrow away from his rock. I didn't take a picture, though, because I'm stupid. I'll try to remember next time.

Cheers,
Dave

U

Unregistered

Well, I'm not too sure if it's working or not. I'm really new with these guys. The sub is about 2" deep> I'm thinking I should go deeper if they like to dig because they haven't yet. I have cork bark hides for them which they both seem content to stay under most of the time. I'll just keep an eye on their behavior as we "get to know each other" I guess.

Atrax

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Dave I just went into the garage to get the details. What I got was a 1/2 cubic ft/14 liter bag of 'paver base'. I think it was less than $5US at Home Depot. The bag prob weighed 40lbs new but I have about 8lbs left. The rest is spread among 2x5gal, 1x2.5gal and one 20long tank for desert/semi desert scorpions. I have up to about 6" deep substrate mixed with other srtuff. But it is a cheap material and I have had no problems with it.

John
; ' /

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Gary,

I think you need to rename this thread to the Atrax, SHD, Kugellager thread.

John
; ' /

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah. It has really become something of a pseudo-chat. Maybe I'll host a scorpion chat next week and we can do this for real. ;) I unfortunatley won't be able to make regular chat this week, as I'm working.

John,

Sounds good. I assume it is a fairly dusty substrate that requires washing before use?

Gary,

I wouldn't necessarily go deeper. Mine are all on substrate about that deep and they seem fairly content. They are a pretty small scorpion, so they can easily dig scrapes/burrows. I would be skeptical as to the ability of peat/sand to hold a burrow, though.

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with scrapes for these guys. Your setup with the cork bark hides sounds fine to me. Ultimately, I am as new to these guys as you -- though I have kept some species with similar requirements before. My Hottentotta enclosures, for example, are exactly like miniature Androctonus enclosures.

Cheers,
Dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
While we're doing this pseudo-chat thing, have you introduced your spadix to your arazonensis yet, John?

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
It is a dusty substrate but when I first put a substrate in an enclosure I am usually mixing it with other substrate material in a clean bucket and mix water with it as I make the mixture. This gets it all evenly moist and allows it to be easier to compact when placing it in for the first time. It also helps to keep the dust down.

Once in the enclosure, even ones for the most desert-loving species, get misted about once a month...and also doesn't get disturbed much(other than by digging by the scorp). I havent had any problems with dust...though you still moght want to wear a dust mask until anything you work with is moist.

John
; ' /

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Oh I forgot,

I have not yet put the spadix in with the others as it has dug its own burrow and has not been cooperating as far as being somewhere where I can remove it from its current enclosure.

:rolleyes:

John
; ' /

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah Kuge, ya gotta get some pics of your enclosures up here. SHD would probably dig them. They're pretty nice.:) The Pavemant gravel looks pretty cool in a desert setup.

Yeah, I'm down with a scorp chat. I have band practice on Mon, Tue and Thurs. So, probably on a weekend will be cool w/me.

Later.
Atrax

BTW Dave, thanks again for the tips.:D

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Hey Gary, Dave

I think what I'll do is take some pics of my enclosures and start a thread in the Scorp forum for enclosures...or feel free to do it if you get to it before i do...I'll prob post comments on substrate type, scorps I use them for etc for each pic

John
; ' /