Humidity and mold

icsparks

Arachnopeon
So what is the trick to keeping humidity at 80% and yet not growing mold at the same time. I use a mix of vermiculite and eco-earth 4" deep in a large critter keeper. I also have a potho that I water and a large water dish. I find it hard to keep the humidity at 80% without having mold problems. This setup is for my Cobalt Blue.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Stop worrying about an exact humidity reading for one thing, let alone 80%.
I don't have problems with mold with any of my burrowers.

I spray mist the substrate a bit when it's starting to get on the dry side...the end.

You don't need to dote.

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about humidity too much unless you had a blondi or avic (some attribute SADS to lack of humidity). I have two slings, P. irminia, and A. brocklehursti, both are recommended to have somewhat high humidity, but I only wet the substrate once a week and when I suspect an upcoming molt. Some people feel keeping a high humidity at all times is overrated.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Humid and cool don't mix for me.

Icsparks, Ime, mold never grows in any of my moist enclosures when kept at 75 degrees or above. I use peat moss. I've had a few small spots about half the size of a dime in my Theraphosa "burgundy" enc when temps got down to low 70's for a few days straight but that was the extent of it. ;) Terry

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep high humidity in my A. versicolor enclosure as well. I have 4 cm(1,6 inches) of coco fibre, oon top of that I have moss wich I brought from the forest and ivy and orchid. All grows well, no mold becouse moss drains all the humidity that is exceed the limit.