Humidity and hygrometers

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have read a lot of variation in the humidity a millipede prefers. From "sopping wet" to "on the dry side". I have a variety of species so I am sure there will be variance from pen to pen. But where do you keep your humidity?

Also - do you use a hygrometer? I just bought a few with soil probes. I was hoping to get the stick on tape type and have one in each enclosure but the tapes I have found only go up to 60%. The soil probes I purchased were $40; more than I had hoped to pay. I am sure when I feel more confidant I won't use them as much; but while I am learning, it will help.

Millipedes are hard to judge - other animals show immediate signs of environmental stress. Why can't they wilt or pant or languish in some other way so we can "fix" the trouble!! Gah!

So - hygrometer? Yes - No - Which? And how wet is your substrate? :watchingyou:

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
Hydrometer yes! It's a very useful tool, what species do you keep, what's the substrate depth and I'll give you the info you need.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Hydrometer yes! It's a very useful tool, what species do you keep, what's the substrate depth and I'll give you the info you need.
Thank you! The substrate depth is different in each pen; I keep them all separate; even color morphs. I can change the depth on any. For adults I try to keep it at their ultimate length. But for the juveniles, I keep the substrate at about 2 - 3" so I can keep a better eye on them. I will add to it as they grow. They are all in plastic tubs with holes drilled along the top (not the lid).

Please feel free to tell me if something doesn't sound right - I am learning. I keep:

Exotic: AGB, T. aoutii, Thai Rainbow apeuthes, Flame Leg

Native (American) : Ivory, Narceus americanus & gordanus, Orthroporus ornata (color variations of each of these)

Introduced: Bumblebee and Scarlett (I keep these in deeper substrate; 5" because they are large colonies.)

I would love to have Glossy Pink Legs and Madagascar Fire. Hopefully I can find those.

I really appreciate your interest and will relish any help you can offer!