Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for a "other"

I think that it was Martin H that had a neat way of keeping is haplopelma lividum, but i can't find it anywere. i think it goes like this. at the bottom of the tank there would be a layer of small rock(or something) and fill this layer with water and then fill the rest of the tank with substrate.

someone else may explain better what i am trying to say

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I go back and forth depending on the species but on average I'm overflowing the dishes.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Dry, but occasionally mist. Some with more to keep moist, some very rarely. Depends on species.

I think that it was Martin H that had a neat way of keeping is haplopelma lividum, but i can't find it anywere. i think it goes like this. at the bottom of the tank there would be a layer of small rock(or something) and fill this layer with water and then fill the rest of the tank with substrate.
Its called a false bottom. I've used it before (not for T's), but I fill the bottom with like fish gravel the pour in water. Then add substrate on top.

Last edited:

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It all depends. I keep most of my terrestrial T's on dry substrate with a large waterdish. The terrestrials that require higher humidity get misted every other day. All of my arboreals are kept on vermiculite with a large waterdish and most get misted everyday (accept my H.maculata who gets misted every several days because it's an African).

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For me it also depends on the tarantula we are talking about.I keep my B. smithi fairly dry and I keep my H. gigas moist. I have some with a water dish like my B. smithi and that about all I give him. I also have some that I pour a little water on the bedding. the ones I pour the water on the bedding usually have a heating pad under them that helps the water go from the bedding into the air as humidity. I worry a lot about keeping the humidity for my Ts that really need it because I live in UT and it is very dry here. Ive had a bad moult because of to little humidity in a T. blondis tank. I also have no problems with mold because its so dry so its a trade off.
scott

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i voted other because it varies. i keep a dish in the larger ts. starting at anywhere from 1-2" in leg span (larger dishes for larger ts). i also occasionally mist a couple species (A. versicolor, and P. imperator mostly).

other than that, the substrate for all of them is bone dry.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also for other as it truly depends on the sp. itself, moisture driven species will need more moisture which i would mist every other day or so. My current Ts all just require bone dry substrate with a water source..

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I keep terrestrials fairly dry. Everybody gets at least one water dish. (Some cages have many buried water dishes:wall: )

The aboreals however I usually mist a few times a week.

I love that when I mist P irminia, she comes out to see what is going on!

Lilija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most of mine are bone dry with a water dish. I overflow the water dishes from time to time, on some of the species. My slings stay on barely moist substrate, no matter the species, and get some water dribbled down the side at each feeding. Better safe than sorry, with the little guys, as my house is rather dry.