Humane way to euthanize

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Hi there! Coming in with sad news, my jumper had a really bad molt (all of its legs are stuck), I applied water where the old skeleton is to help her, gave her some water with a q-tip but to no avail, she has made no progress in 24 hours. She's been trying to molt for ~26 hours, I'll wait a couple more hours but if nothing changes, I really want to end her suffering. What's the most humane way to euthanize a spider at home?
**She's a very small sling so 24 hours without progress isn't usually good news**

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I use the freezer to euthanize or cull. Sorry for your loss

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Honestly, I just smash it. I feel like the freezer method gives them some pain before they die.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oh man...not sure I could smash it although I understand it is a very fast method
Regardless of how we feel, smashing is the quickest and most instant death. The freezer method is not fast by any means.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
The only thing I can think of faster than smashing it would be a shotgun, but that isn't practical in town.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Regardless of how we feel, smashing is the quickest and most instant death. The freezer method is not fast by any means.
I was told that using the freezer, it slows their bodies and puts them in a hibernation-like state, where they can’t feel anything. And than the long exposures to the cold painlessly culls them. Is this incorrect?

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
I was told that using the freezer, it slows their bodies and puts them in a hibernation-like state, where they can’t feel anything. And than the long exposures to the cold painlessly culls them. Is this incorrect?
I've read that many spiders have a sort of "anti-freeze" in their bloodstreams, including jumpers. But, below 23 F, or 5 C, they will die. So a freezer would prob do the trick.
So sorry this has happened to you. :( It does bring up a good question though; something that should unfortunately be talked about.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Would definitely smash it, its the best way.. If it makes it easier, you could just set him on a big flat rock outside and drop another flat rock ontop of him. You wouldnt have to clean it up or even see him afterwards.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Honestly, I just smash it. I feel like the freezer method gives them some pain before they die.
Scientifically, lethal blunt force trauma before any pain receptors are able to send signals to the brain and the brain process them.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
unfortunately, my sweet darling passed away last night....(at least I believe so since it doesn't respond to any stimulus) I will be smashing it between pieces of towels (so I can't see it or else I couldn't do it) with a heavy book to make sure its sufferings are over...thank you for the multiple replies I am still grieving the loss I loved her so so much it breaks my heart in a million pieces..