Huge subspinipes!

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This monster just came today -- easily the biggest SE Asian S. subspinipes (I'm guessing dehaani again on this) I've ever seen. Here it is unwinding (literally - lol) after a long trip. Isn't hungry just yet, but obviously thirsty. Note the size compared to the mini cup (the kind you put spiderlings in).

Sorry these pics aren't too clear, I'm still getting used to the new Nikon. I might snap a few with my older, simpler cam. ;)

Attachments

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats an impressive pede! I'm really wanting to get a large S. subspinipes, but there seems to be a real shortage if pede dealers in the UK, you americans are very lucky with the selection you have available to you. I guess i'll just have to wait until one comes along. Until then i'm enjoying seeing the pictures you post bill.

Cheers,

Dan.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whoa! That is a big subspinipes! It looks a bit dark for a dehaani but at that size, that darker coloration may be normal. I get Vietnamese and Malaysian mixed up...I think it's the Vietnamese with the darker legs of that color. Malaysians have the more yellow legs right? If I got it straight, Vietnamese would be my guess. (whichever doesn't have the yellow legs. :} )

Atrax

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, it's allegedly from Vietnam, but it looks more like a Malaysian. All the Vietnamese (so named) pedes I've seen have much lighter legs, even the darker ones with yellow fading to orange (legs).

I paid half my ass to get it, so it's probably staying in my collection. ;)

bill

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
great pede!! thats where i am planing to order my vietnamese pede

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Scolopendra subspinipes

Now that is one awesome Scolopendra specimen! Nothing less than a gorgeous monster :D

Alex S.

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well shucks Bill,
Don't keep all the big ones since I will be ordering again real soon:D Can't say that I blame you though because she or he is really gorgeous.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I only said that because I didn't think anyone would be interested in a $250 subspinipes... ;) But hey, who knows?

bill

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Bill,
Isn't that a tad high for that species, or is it strictly due to its size?
One never knows who might be interested in that beast. How long is she?

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My guess is about 10". But the big thing is how wide - it's really immense girth-wise.

As for pricing, I can't always dictate how much I pay for stuff (boy, that would be nice!). Obviously my supplier in this case felt this was a pede worth a higher pricetag than usual... MUCH higher. (lol)

bill

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's what makes him so much more awesome is his width! I'd sure love to have him.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bill, please tell me you didn't pay that for the pede? If you did then your kind gesture of keeping it in your personal collection deserves respect. (and a bit of awe as well. :))

Like you said, maybe there is a hobbyist willing to pay so much for a subspinipes but I'd have to guess that most would rather not. I'd mostly hate to see a trend start among every dealer who gets in a huge-ass subspinipes to start trying to list them that high. (which is why I commend you for keeping that one in your personal collection)

I hope I haven't read this thread wrong...I just woke up a few minutes ago...;P
*Atrax...drags himself..to...nearest source...of...caffeine*

Atrax

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No, I didn't pay $250 myself... In fact, if anyone was serious about it, I could probably go lower - I was just illustrating that my wholesale was about 10X more than usual for this particular specimen.

bill

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Bill,

Is there any chance of you posting a few more pics? Thanks.

Cheers.

Dan.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just posted a new quicktime movie of it crawling around and digging (actually kind of neat how it pulls back the peat moss). It's on the left side of the catalog page:

http://www.invertepet.com

Here's another pic...

Attachments

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Video

Hey Bill, just got done watching the video... awesome!!

Alex S.