Huge overkill planted terrarium/experiment

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
A client had a cracked 46gallon bowfront, and was going to dump it so I tranformed it into a planted terarrium. I rigged a humidifier on a humdistat (no more misting), a termostat on the heat lamp which is also linked to the humidifer so when the lamp kicks on so does the humidifier. A couple digi therms, some plants, a couple of daddy long legs for knat control (they do an amazing job).....and last but not least
my mated pair of M. robustum....Experimental at this point and they are under VERy close watch. They walk around and share the same burrow with no issues. The abdomens were bald when i recieved them, and theyve shown no outward signs of agression thus far. With the temp around 73 and the humidity at 80% they are very active in the day. As soon as the humidity drops they go for the wood. Next is a 180gal acrylic on end with 40 1" P. regalis.....:rolleyes:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Hey....a pic would be nice huh?

Apophis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
VERY nice looking enclosure! But arent you worried that the spiders will climb, fall, and hurt themselves? Seems a bit high for terrestrial spiders...

Next is a 180gal acrylic on end with 40 1" P. regalis.....:rolleyes:
HOLY EXCREMENTS!!! :eek:
Can't wait to see some pix of that when it's ready! :D

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Here that alot since the first time i joined the sight years ago....never had it happen and the event is pretty rare imo. I had my blondi in a 30 tall of over 2 years. No rocks, and in afew months the plants will basically fill the terrarium, should further reduce the risk. I've got a 40watt VHO plant bulb, its only been about a month and the plants have grown noticabley, hence the taller tank as it is more sutied for the plants than a shorter tank. Good point, but im not worried about it.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah let us know about this regalis setup.would love to see pics of that

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Thats a far future plan. Ive always wanted to do one. A big vertical tank with a huge colony would look crazy under some black or actinic lighting.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont see how the plants can sustain themselves with such a small amount of substrait or soil.. whatever your using. but still. kool

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would recommend 2" of gravel on the bottom of that setup, with 6" or so potting soil for the plants sake. Otherwise, when your plants get big you will have roots all over the top of the substrate and all kinds of other problems. The 2" gravel is for drainage to prevent root rot. Just a thought but cool idea :)

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
i dont see how the plants can sustain themselves with such a small amount of substrait or soil.. whatever your using. but still. kool
Maybe you should ask my plants...lol. I have som dracania and sago palms in about 3" of soil.....going on 4 years now with no problems. Thanks for the advise.:rolleyes:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
i would recommend 2" of gravel on the bottom of that setup, with 6" or so potting soil for the plants sake. Otherwise, when your plants get big you will have roots all over the top of the substrate and all kinds of other problems. The 2" gravel is for drainage to prevent root rot. Just a thought but cool idea :)
I dont need 6" of soil.....maybe ideal for the plants but ive got some as stated in about the same depth for sometime now. As for drainage, the gravel should be in place soon thanks for the advise.