Huge Centruroides sp.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I first joined AB i asked for help in researching a particular species of scorpion, Centruroide suffusus. I know now that they are particularly found in Durango Mexico and they go by the common name Durango Scorpion. Now i haven't been able to get a determined average size for this species so It might not be the same one. On one of my first post i had said that i was going to take a picture of my brothers scorpion that was about 8 in. It turns out it was alittle under 7 inches. I measured it before it was thrown away. My family is from Durango so i have all these little scorpions decorated on my room that measure 2-4 inches. But my aunt came back from a visit to the homeland ;) and brought back preserved scorpions in key chains, key holders, belts ect. She appologized for losing my gift so no scorpion for me. Anyways a few of these scorpions were about the same size as the big one. When measured next to my emperor it was the same size in lenght just slender. When compared to the little preserved scorpions i couldnt Identify any differences. I cant say for sure that they are the same species since I couldnt look at the pectines. Hmm any ideas on this. Could this be C. suffus if so what makes them so big. I NEED TO GET ONE OF THESE SCOPIONS ALIVE DAMN IT.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
are the scorpions "stretched out"? The first scorpion we saw in our house when it ran a way, a male Centruroides flavopictus flavopictus, looked very long. The tail was flat and stretched out when it was running, and because it was a male the tail segments are longer compared to females of the same species. In total it looked like 5-6" long. When the scorpion is resting it looks much smaller because the tail is curled up.

The largest species I keep (and hence it might be not the largest C. species) is the C. gracilis.

Finally I strongly recommend to not export C. suffusus or any other Mexican scorpion species into the states, there is a good reason why it's illegal. I probably am barking up the wrong tree, but I have already problems with moving a species from one Mexican state to another (which I very occasionally do). You don't want an imported scorpion replacing the local scorpion fauna.

As far as I know C. gracilis was introduced here (Mexico) and I am afraid that it's replacing local scorpion species. At least it's extremely widespread in my experience (which might be wrong).

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No i don't believe it was streched out at all. They are slim but look just like their mini counterparts in coparison to body parts. I saw a picture of a so called C. suffusus and it looks slighly different than all the preserved specimens i have. But then i saw another pic that does look like them. Hmm. I know theres a subspecies Centruroides suffusus chiaravigli. I don't think that even if i do "smuggle" Centruroides suffusus it wouldn't survive here in L.A. It's tempting.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No i don't believe it was streched out at all. They are slim but look just like their mini counterparts in coparison to body parts.
Photo's might help. Some Centruroides species are smaller, an adult (as far as I know) male I keep from Oaxaca is more then twice as small as a C. gracilis male I have.

I saw a picture of a so called C. suffusus and it looks slighly different than all the preserved specimens i have.
As far as I know it's very hard to ID species based on photos etc. The preservation process also might have changed color, and it might be in a not-natural position.

I don't think that even if i do "smuggle" Centruroides suffusus it wouldn't survive here in L.A. It's tempting.
Yup, I know what you mean (tempting). I try to collect as little as possible and limit it to Centruroides sp. at the moment. I mean, been to Oaxaca and Puebla and returned with just 5 scorpions (probably 2 different species in total).
( http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2007/02/28/scorpions-veracruz-puebla-oaxaca.html has photos of both species)

Anyway, Durango is certainly a state I want to visit, maybe this year, maybe next. I live in Xalapa, Veracruz.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kool i wish i could take pics but all i have is a phone for camera purposes. I'll try to get a camera. Soon but your right the colors in the preservtion process probaly got faded because i can see a liitle black. I am probably going to get someone to mail me some alacranes from durango. I REALLY REALLY WANT ONE