HUGE black widow

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Let's get real, please. If anyone has found an extraordinary creature a photograph is in order. With spiders the animal should have a measurement gauge next to it or place it on a piece of graph paper when photographed. In science a picture isn't just worth a thousand words, it's the difference between fact and personal opinion.

PS Accuracy is important. Close only counts with horseshoes, hand grenades and hydrogen bombs.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I remember that study done not too long ago that showed a measurable result in arachnophobes actually seeing a spider several times larger than it is.

The reason you don't see any pictures of black widows the size of a hand is because they only exist in stories.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Another black widow oddity is they keep getting smaller. When I was a little kid they were huge! Now they be itty bitty cusses.

On a more serious note I once underwent a police training course in scene recollection. This was ran by psychologists. During the seminars they demonstrated how our brains record singular and continuous incidents. Our brain literally taking vague photographs. Then in recollection the subconscious fills in the gaps, adds or subtracts color and sound, puts things in that aren't there and removes things that are. Examples, 26 near identical trees became less than 10, a half hour difficult drive was actually 55 minutes, a brown house turned green due to surroundings and spatial/visual orientations and so on. And the more the intense the images taken, the more the brain tends to enhance them. Thus monster latro's.

Last edited:

Spiderman937

Arachnopeon
I know Brown Widows drop and roll the most out of any widows I have seen. Most of the others just flex and throw glue unless they are super spooked.