How's my enclosure for a 1-1.5" G. Pulchra?

Arasta

Arachnopeon
Hi all! This is my first post, though I've looked through the forum for a little bit. I hope this is the right area to ask, but I just set up my enclosure for a future T (g. pulchra 1-1.5"). I wanted to make sure it was a decent enclosure for the little guy when I end up getting him (this will be my first).

Enclosure details: measures approx 8"x8"x6", came with a square of felt to use on the bottom that I kept since I figured it'd make the eventual cleaning of the enclosure a bit easier. The substrate is mostly coco fiber with a bit of mix (sphagnum peat moss, vermiculite, perlite) added in. I smushed some of the larger vermiculite pieces in case they were too large. I packed the soil down a bit so it wasn't overly fluffy and then made a little impression into the hide to help make a starter burrow for the lil guy.

It's a bit bare bones, and I might add some more decor later, but for now I wanted to ask if the size, substrate type, etc was looking alright.

Thank you! 20230526_152725.jpg
20230526_152528.jpg 20230526_152729.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Enclosure set up looks nice, but if the sling is really only 1-1.5" DLS, then this will be way too large - it would be a great enclosure for a juvenile that's between 3-4" DLS. Think about it - an 8" wide enclosure is 8X as big as the sling's leg span, and they don't usually sit spread out so appear much smaller. Generally, you'll want to keep them in something around 3X the leg span. For a T that size, something between a 5oz to a 16oz deli cup is ideal until the get almost big enough to touch the sides when sitting in the middle. In this large enclosure, your sling will dig a burrow and very rarely, if ever, come up to the surface. The substrate mixture is fine, it doesn't need to be very moist overall, just keep one corner/small area moist by overflowing the water dish every once in a while. Also, the hide is very large - they like to hide in tight spaces, which is why they're more likely to burrow if given the opportunity rather than use a large hide like that. A small piece of cork bark or fake leaf a little larger than the T with a depression under it works great.

cold blood

Staff member
if the sling is really only 1-1.5" DLS, then this will be way too large
completely agree
the hide is very large - they like to hide in tight spaces
Agreed again.....although it can be used (unless it has a hard bottom to it), but it will need to be almost completely buried...you never want that big open space over the surface like that...think of a hide not as a home, but rather just as the front door...the t will excavate and make its home somewhere beneath the hide.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
My 1" pulchra housing, a 5oz deli cup:
PXL_20221124_085810944.jpg

After molting to 1.5" in the little bin:
PXL_20221218_190624395.jpg

Rehoused almost 2 months later in a 2.5x3.25x4:
PXL_20230212_113000147.jpg

Still in there after molting to probably 2":
PXL_20230409_010618292.jpg

I only just got her an 8x6x6 for either next molt or the one after.

In the small enclosures, she has been super easy to care for, and growing like a weed. Highly recommend this kind of sizing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
16 oz deli cup
Cage & Hide - HUGE!:eek:
Sub to lid no more than 1.5x DLS- or T dies
Cool box

keep looking!

Arasta

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice y'all! It definitely is large, so I'll probably save it for when the T gets bigger (or just start with a bigger T). Deli cup sounds like the moves for now :)

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the advice y'all! It definitely is large, so I'll probably save it for when the T gets bigger (or just start with a bigger T). Deli cup sounds like the moves for now :)
They live a long time, so if you can find and afford a larger one, don't pass it up. Slings are cool, but they grow SLOWLY.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Adult and subadult G pulchra are hard to find due to high demand, even males (tho females are much less common and more expensive). I've seen 4 inch females go for 300+ dollars. Like another person said, they live for over 2 decades so in the long run it's not unreasonable if you can afford it.

For a 1.5 inch T a deli cup or a transparent tupperware container is all you need. 4" L x 3" W x 4" H is plenty for the next year or year and a half if you keep it at room temperature.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My Pulchra slings are in deli containers. They'll probably be here for years given their slow growth.

20230409_163419.jpg 20230409_163423.jpg

Arasta

Arachnopeon
Update! I shopped for some supplies and found a 3.5" cube container that I drilled some ventilation holes in (on the top and sides). Then made a smaller hide and got some decor. It has the same substrate mix (mostly coconut fiber with some vermiculite & peat moss). I'm hoping this will work much better for a T around 1-1.5". I know a deli cup would've worked fine, but I'm extra lol.

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Update! I shopped for some supplies and found a 3.5" cube container that I drilled some ventilation holes in (on the top and sides). Then made a smaller hide and got some decor. It has the same substrate mix (mostly coconut fiber with some vermiculite & peat moss). I'm hoping this will work much better for a T around 1-1.5". I know a deli cup would've worked fine, but I'm extra lol.
Cool container were did you find it at ? Definitely held up to drill without cracking.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Make sure the sub is packed down firmly, they don't like to walk on lose soil.

Much better size!

Arasta

Arachnopeon
Cool container were did you find it at ? Definitely held up to drill without cracking.
Hobby Lobby! I think it might've been in the kitchen part of the store, though I'm not sure what it was supposed to be used for. There were also different sizes of the same container (3.5" squares but different heights). It held up pretty well, though I can't quite say the same about the drill bit, which is now covered in melted acrylic :anxious:.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I think you and the sling will be much happier with this setup until it grows out. Looks good!
not the op lol :rofl:
I just asked were you buy those type of enclosures, I typically use plastic containers for slings.