Howdy

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I've been lurking about and I guess I figured it was time to say Heya.

I'm a 35 year old mother of four in Baltimore Maryland.

My five year old twins got me into T's. Literaly.
They expressed a Love for tarantulas. "Ooooooh Mommy spiders are Sooooooooo Cute. can we have one?"
And a full summer of Ooo'ing and Aaah'ing at anything with a web all over the yard.
I Finaly decided to see Just how much they Loved spiders. So started reasurching. Then I started scouting out pet stores.
I Finaly found a little shop right around the corner or so from me that was Both knowlagable and friendly.
I Took the Twins ( Faith and Eden) to the shop so they could see real live spiders. Because it's One thing to say you Love that spider on TV,, and another to see a big hairy one right up close.
After an hour of cooing and giggling and letting two of the Sweetest Grammastola rosea's climb all over them. I ended up Buying the two Grammastola rosea....
Faith named her's Sunshine. Eden named her's Moonbeam. And they are two of the Most spoiled darn tarantula's in the world I would suppose.
Well the I found a site with Lots of pictures that the twins could navigate All on their own. We used spider names to pick out the alphabete and they gave every spider on the site a name of their own.
And they expressed a desire for more....
So I let them pick out what they liked. researched. We ( me as superviser and them doing the most work) set up vivarums and when they were all ready. We made our next purchase. Eden picked a Theraphosa blondi ,, who is still a little squirt now, named it StarRacer....
And Faith chose an Aphonopelma Seemanni naming her Ceris.

I thought. Ok, nuff spidies... But While we were there.... I spoted an Avicularia versicolor we All fell in love with. The lil blue spiderling was Just the Most adorable..... Well, Her name is Xenix... and she Just moulted a day and a half ago and is Growing Fast...

Then I said. Ok, Nuff spiders.....

Then the twins 5th birthday's came on the 28th of Jan...
Care to guess what they wanted???

You got it....

Faith had put her eyes on a Pterinochilus murinus.. So we got the vicious little orange B**ch.... And Faith thinks she is Most adorable when she lunges at the glass of her viv all fang bared and archy. "Aww Mommy look she wants to eat me up. Isn't that Soooo Cute. She's my brave little baby Keoche!"

Eden picked out a Lasidora parahybana spiderling. Who doesn't have it's colors yet but is a fat and feisty little sucker. Eden named her Willy and sings it the Insy weensy spider every night while tossing it a lil cricket...

Yes all safety is used when oputting Twins with Spiders.
The unhandlables are Just that. Not handled. And they have a special pair of gloves they use to handle the Rose Hairs.

When I built the Viv for Keoche (The P. murinus.) I made special ports for crickets and water so my daughter doesn't have to Think about actual contact with the orange beast.

And of course... the Twin's list of wanted spider babies is Growing.
They have picked out what they want next.
I just have to figure out How to get them. LOL.

So. Hello from us.

And if you want to see our little multi legged babies. Heres the links.

I have to make pages for Ceris, Keoche and Willy As soon as I get pictures.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Quasar/2271/spiders.html

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Quasar/2271/starracer.html

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Quasar/2271/xenix.html

Anyway.

Have a nice night all. Or day. Depending on where your from. :).

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey nice to meet you. Nice T's! I wish you luck!

P.S.

Maryland is such a beautiful place. I went there last summer in august to see my bro at the naval academy...he's a plebe (freshman) and was glad to see us after his loooong summer.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
theres a new excuse to get more t's, oh, the kids wanted them....=D

nice to meet you, welcome.

mark

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
welcome!
I am the mother of an (almost) 8 year old, we currently have over 200 Ts (yes, they are VERY addictive!).
I am guessing your girls made up the T names?! My child does the same, she names most of them, hence we have names like:
Morax, Kalachay, Cadashio, Killer Cheeto (traded), Stinky Funeral,
Seculada, ...you get the picture!
Glad to hear the girls like ts and are learning about them. We bring ours to Shelby's school, and I give a little talk on spiders, about twice a year.
Holley

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Paladin.

It's too darn cold here right now and we just got snow. And looking at more. :p.
You should have seen me picking up spiders in Jan....

Talk about a paranoid mommy.
I pluged a portable car electric blanket in and wrapped their little containers in it for the two minut trip home.
But it was a brutal cold day.

Hopefully we Might be picking up the twins next choice.
A Chromatopelma cyanopubesence spiderling.
They think the adult pictures are Just So perty and they are pretty much allowed to sit and look at all the spiders in the spider cabinet at the pet shop and Love the s'ling.
They've already named it Scuttle....

So I guess I'm commited on buying the little critter...

And mebebraz. Yup.

I Honestly wasn't crazy about tarantula's till the twins started loving spiders.
I was more then content to put the run of the mill spiders that wandered in my house back out in the garden. I thought they were rather creepy and Never thought I would own one. Much less Seven going on eight...

But I'm a strange woman. My loves are Kids, critters and cars.
I'm not a flowers and candy kind of gal.
And I absolutly Love exploring with my kids.

As far as I'm concerned these are they're spiders.
I just now can enjoy their beauty an
d grace.
Now that I've co
me to Like them so much.
:)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
200?
Wow Holley nice to meet ya too.

We have a show and tell comming up.
the teacher has asked me to let the twins bring in their Rosies.
But I'm waiting for a warmer day. I don't want to run them in and out of the weather.

Love the names. and Yep. the twins name them all.
They named the Other animals in the house too...

The list of critters in the insane family zoo....

A dog - Isis.

Four cats - Spaz, Seven, Mew mew, and Buffy.

Two ferrets - Bubbles and Blossum.

Six hamsters - Buffypickles, Hotdog, Choco, Wawa, Oxnard, and Bijau.

Four Guinie pigs - Waffles, Baby, Gizmo, and Rubyfire.

And two bunnies - Qbert and Wishystar.

All but the Ferrets were adopted in from people that didn't want them anymore.
All are Spoiled freaking rotten. LOL

Plus I have a Bunch of donated aquareums for more spiders.
Aquareums that had cracks or leaks. Easy enough to fix and I love being handy.

The twins teacher is giving them two thirty gallons next week.
She used to collect fish and has been cleaning out her garage and giving the twins her old setups because she didn't know what to do with them and didn't want to toss them in the garbage.
I have five ten gallons that are waiting for spiders.
And the two thrities that are comming..
Oi,,,, am i in trouble.....

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sounds as if you are off and running with your tarantula hobby. nice to have you here! this is for the most part a very friendly and informative site. you sound like a very cool Mom to let her children have so many pets!
I don't have as many t's as Holley does, only around 100 total inverts here (I also keep scorpions, amblypigids, vinegaroons, several species of feeder colony roaches, lizards, snakes, and several species of tree frogs).
Ed

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Nixy,
Shelby is most impressed with the twins naming prowess :D
We are WAY behind in our names LOL....there are too many tiny ones. I like them to get just a bit larger before naming, but sometimes Shelby gets inspired ;)
We've got other critters as well, 2 dogs, a snake, a tortoise, 2 rats, and a pot belly pig.
Kids imagination is something else, isn't it?!
Holley

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome,
Sounds like it'll be fun to have you guys around here.:D
Post us a picture of your twins.

Ernie

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello, and welcome aboard. Im sure you will find this community more than just an info site, as i have found over the few months ive been here ;)

-e-

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
Toan pointed me in this direction and I want to thank Toan Lots for doing so. It's a nice site. Very informative and friendly.
And people type critters here can take a give a joke. Yay.

Holly. The twins insist on putting name tags on the vivs. LOL.
So I put the species name, common name and "Twin" name, along with the date we got them and probable age.

We have a game with Tarantula names and the alphabet. I'll incorporate anything that catches the girls interest into somehting they can learn from. The twins have a spidey calender they mark moults. They were marking feeding. But they feed the suckers daily so.....

The names are picked out usualy before the spider in purchased. :p The look all over the Rick West site at the pictures and have named half of them...

I also have a 17 year old son and a 15 year old daughter. My sons getting into the T's too. My daughter. Well... as long as they stay on the other side of the glass. My husband doesn't mind them as long as the twins don't actualy insist he touch one of them.

Unfortunetly today we went to pick up the Twin's Chromatopelma cyanopubesence S'ling. But the man that usualy handles them must have been out and someone put a bunch of too big crickets in with it.... It decided to moult...
Crickets had lunch.
We found this out when we went to pick it up and the twins just Cried. they were Soo heartbroken.
So. It's wait till they get another in.
I could order online. But after shipping and handling I would be paying twice what I would in the shop.
And I just can't afford that. :(

So it's wait till their next shipment which might be a few months form now..

But till then we just keep looking at the Perties in the pictures and the twins pick out their favs.
Though in all honestly. They just want them all.

Thanks again for the welcome everyone.
I'll be prattling and nattering and babbling here a bit. :)

Oh, and here's pics of my T loving twins. I want to get pics of them soon With their babies. :)

This is Eden. The oldest twin by one minute.

http://www.geocities.com/motherbird717/eden200211.jpg

And this is Faith who is dubbed. Da Boss.

http://www.geocities.com/motherbird717/faith200211.jpg

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nixy,to out weigh the cost of shipping from ordering over the internet I realized that if I buy 4-5 T's at a time its all good:D welcome aboard
Doug

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
*Mutters at geocities*

Thanks Ðennis.

And thanks for the compliment.
I have to update Badly. LOL.

But I'm working on new graphics now.

So maybe soon. :)

I'll just have to get the twins new pics on a page, page.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome!! You will find that it is addicting as a hobby!! My 2 girls ages 11 and 6 love the T's I have also. I try to add a few every couple of months.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Doug. I thought of that and would Love to be Able to buy 4-5,,,, 6-8.....

But unfortunetly we usualy have to save up for each one we buy. Especialy till I can get out in the workforce again.

My husband busted his back at work a few years back. After 8 surgeries, a couple of strokes and alot of struggling I can Now buy a spider now and again. But we choose carefuly which ones we want because we can Only afford one at a time after careful consideration.

I was heading back into the workforce but my mother in law fell and broke her hip and wrist Badly. Hip replacement surgery and my husband can hardly handle the helping her. Not with His problems. And Frankly I can't go back into my old line of work because my Own health issues prevent me. I used to be a custom automotive body and paint artist. But shop temperatures and the Heavy work. Though I do enjoy heavy physical labor I have several not so happy disks, and a good bit of arthritis. My bod is telling me that handling the tools and doing the labor is a No no.

So I'm looking for a pet shop,,,, a specialty shop. Pets. Something Indoors out of the extremes of the weather where I can take what I've learned and help T's get hooked up to people that will understand and take care of them. I'm Not an expert in the field but quite frankly I Give a damn and I Do know more then what you find in the average pet store... I have a Zoo....So I have a good bit of knowleg about various critters.

So anyway. Right now I'm dealing with a shop here. (That has no openings by the way......)
And they are better priced them anything I've seen online. Though Limited with variaty.

I could get better prices online if I purchased 6-7 of the same spcies.... but frankly.... what do I do with so many of one kind?
Everyone online pretty much has them already. LOL.
And I live in a neaighborhood comprised of mostly elderly and there just arn't many tarantula enthusists around.

Do I want something for nothing?

No. That's not the case.

I'm looking pretty much for the best deals I can to make sure I get my girls as many as I can. Because I'm simply limited in what I can do at any given time.

Ok, enough of my blithering. LOL.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes vulpina is Is adictive. My Twins Love them So so so much.
I want to add more. Lil bit at a time as I can.

I'd really love to have my own little shop.....