Howdy Y'all

WeirdNikki

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am new to the hobby/field/rabbithole. I recently acquired a collection of millipedes (long story, not very interesting), and am now obsessed with them. So happy to have found my tribe. Nice to meet you guys.
I have
so
Many
Questions.

WeirdNikki

Arachnopeon
Orthoporus ornatus, Chicobolus spinigerus, Acladocricus (philippine blue), Narceus gordanus, Narceus americanus, Archispirostreptus gigas

one AGB in particular that has a "healed over, gonna disappear as he moults" type of thing going on
Fungus? Food rot? injury?

See? Opinions?
Predation? Trauma?
He is super active (which seems crazy), earing, drinking...
Would love any input, thanks 🙂

Attachments

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Sounds like you've already gone over the deep end with millipedes!

The photo of the injury is too blurry to really make sense of what we're seeing, but it doesn't look like a fungal attack. If it is a wild caught specimen it might be due to a failed predation attempt, or in any case most likely a deformity resulting from genetics or trauma when the specimen was still soft during/after a molt. If so, these sorts of injury seem to get better slowly over time but never really disappear. If it is active and otherwise doing well I wager it'll probably be fine but carry the scar to the end of its days.

Check out this website for some basic millipede info. Might help with some of your questions.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

WeirdNikki

Arachnopeon
Thanks! Yeah. Deep end. But it's ok. Lol
Sounds like that may be what happened to him. He is totally fine so far!

Kksdueler

Arachnopeon
That doesn't look like an AGB (Archispirostreptus gigas). It looks more like Congo Black Millipede (Spiropoeus fischeri). The ridges along each section appear more satiny and doesn't appear to have the brown banding as the Archispirostreptus gigas. But I might be totally wrong. I am new to the hobby as well.

WeirdNikki

Arachnopeon
Hmm idk.
Anyone else care to venture a guess? AGB? Not AGB?

They are awesome and I love them regardless. They were sold to me as AGB. But may very well not be, I'm a newbie.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
That doesn't look like an AGB (Archispirostreptus gigas). It looks more like Congo Black Millipede (Spiropoeus fischeri). The ridges along each section appear more satiny and doesn't appear to have the brown banding as the Archispirostreptus gigas. But I might be totally wrong. I am new to the hobby as well.
You are probably right, it does look more like S. fischeri. It's funny, I can distinguish between the two at a glance, but if someone is not asking for an ID I almost never notice when something is not an A. gigas, ha ha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Kksdueler

Arachnopeon
You are probably right, it does look more like S. fischeri. It's funny, I can distinguish between the two at a glance, but if someone is not asking for an ID I almost never notice when something is not an A. gigas, ha ha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I have been doing research on the A gigas. I managed to acquire 2 of them recently. I was hoping for a male and female pair. I think I ended up with two females.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
That's a great score for where you are at. If they are adults and were kept with other specimens they may still be inseminated and produce eggs if properly induced.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

WeirdNikki

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the input all =)
Any tips or constructive criticism would be highly appreciated!

Godzilla90fan

Arachnosquire
Orthoporus ornatus, Chicobolus spinigerus, Acladocricus (philippine blue), Narceus gordanus, Narceus americanus, Archispirostreptus gigas

one AGB in particular that has a "healed over, gonna disappear as he moults" type of thing going on
Fungus? Food rot? injury?

See? Opinions?
Predation? Trauma?
He is super active (which seems crazy), earing, drinking...
Would love any input, thanks 🙂
One of my Narceus Americanus had two injuries similar to that when I collected it from the wild. I am assuming a bird tried to eat it and didn't like the defense mechanism. I wasn't sure if it would live at first, but after a molt its extremely active (but the injuries are still present, but starting to scar over.)