How will I know when my hisser is about to pop?

DiscoidsNHissers

Arachnopeon
I have 3 very large female hissers and I got to see one of them push out her eggs right at US election time so I know she's definitely pregnant and I've been anxiously awaiting the new little arrivals ever since. So, how long do I have to wait? I'm just getting a bit anxious getting up every morning and searching for little ones and finding nothing. They get oranges and powdered food, along with anything else I think they might like (and somethings I found the hard way they won't touch) and their tank stays firmly around 77-78F despite it being December in the Midwest (I can't get it any higher, I tried everything short of moving them next to a furnace). I'm afraid they're gonna burst they are getting so big (they can't even fully close their butt flaps) but I haven't seen a single baby!

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
The temps shouldn't matter too much. As long as you give them areas to regulate it the females will instinctively move to the ones they need. They get super engorged when they are gravid but just like other roaches, they will push the ootheca out to thermoregulate. As long as you are patient, and don't stress them out, they will do what they are designed to do. Patience. They will breed out of control when you aren't focused on them.

Attachments

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It happens, sometimes there's something about the conditions that aren't quite right. Fortunately they can hold the eggs for a long time, so it's not really an issue. The temps may be a little low still for them to give birth. Try giving them a slice or two of apple, whenever I was trying to encourage mating/birth/etc., apple seemed to do the trick.

DiscoidsNHissers

Arachnopeon
Small update: gave them some apple last night and this morning, there were the remains of some pushed out eggs (looked like two separate ends of the ootheca) and one, very sad little roach who couldn't get his legs unstuck. I don't know if there are any healthy little ones around (did look through the substrate but didn't see anyone or what, but 2020 needs to stop kicking me in the feels on the way out. December has been the month of sad bug deaths, first my favorite male hisser, now this little one who is barely holding on.

20201224_141644.jpg

DiscoidsNHissers

Arachnopeon
Update: FOUND THE LITTLE BRATS! They were hiding in the corkbark (literally inside the grooves) and I found them when cleaning out the cage today. Seems I got some Christmas Eve babies as their size fits with potentially one molt. Excited to watch them grow and definitely gonna start putting more (but not much more, they are still little) fresh food in the cage at night.

DiscoidsNHissers

Arachnopeon
Last update, got a picture of one of the little brats finally. She thought she was smart this afternoon by hiding between the food bowl and the glass.
20210105_142910.jpg