How Toxic Are Species From The Chilobrachys Genus?

TheDarkLordOfMuffins

Arachnopeon
Will be hopefully acquiring a Kaeng Krachan sometime in the next week and I am curious to know the toxicity of the spider. I have done research and yes I do know they are quick, quite defensive, and can be little balls of hate but that does not phase me. However I can not seem to find out EXACTLY how toxic the venom of this genus is. Apart from T's we also have cats, a Leopard Gecko, and a child who is almost 2. Anyone with experience in receiving a bite and how it feels/effects or can point me to the appropriate research material as well as precautionary measures to take to prevent/remediate a disaster? I.E. bite or escape. This will be my first old world T so regardless I am pretty amped.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
They're pretty potent. A bite would generally cause lots of excruciating muscle cramps, sweating, and possibly cardiac arythmias (sp.?) as well as general feelings of nausea and vomiting. A trip to the hospital would possibly be in order, depending on how tough your pain tolerance is or if you feel something "off" in your breathing or heart function. However, the likelihood of a bite can be mitigated by proper vigilance and planning when doing things like cage transfers. You might want to utilise the tupperware or 'bathtub' method by getting a giant bin or bathtub and rubbing the inside top edge with something like cooking spray or olive oil (anything that the tarantula won't be able to get a purchase on the plastic or porcelain). Then you can also grease the tongs themselves to prevent a T from running up your arm when you stick your tongs in the cage to do maintenance. Also have a catch cup (like a large one) handy so that if it bolts out of its container it'll just go into the plastic bin or the bath and it won't be running around loose. Because you greased the side of the tub, the T won't be able to gain enough purchase to escape out of it and you'll be able to cup it before it runs too far. Also when working with Old Worlds I always tap the side of the cage so they know I'm there and they'll 99/100 times hunker down instead of going out to investigate what I'm doing. Hopefully this helps.

TheDarkLordOfMuffins

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much. I'm used to some angry buggers, my hamorri is the moodiest cow in the world going from super friendly to "I'm going to kill you" in a matter of seconds so HOPEFULLY I can take some skills from those encounters and use it with this genus. I basically have my mind set on a kaeng krachan but I only ever seen them being referred to as angry balls of hate haha.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
There are T keepers that have been keeping OW,s for 20 years plus....and never been tagged,or had
an issue with family or other pets.I doubt any one on AB can tell you precisely what the effects
or discomfort level is...because they don't let their OW,s tag them.FWIW.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You can generally expect extreme pain, swelling, cramping, nausea/vomiting, profuse sweating (I almost wrote "swearing", you'll probably do a lot of that too), dizziness, and possibly irregularities in your heartbeat so you'll probably want/need to take a trip to A&E. Also, symptoms can last for weeks after being bitten.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
You can generally expect extreme pain, swelling, cramping, nausea/vomiting, profuse sweating (I almost wrote "swearing", you'll probably do a lot of that too), dizziness, and possibly irregularities in your heartbeat so you'll probably want/need to take a trip to A&E. Also, symptoms can last for weeks after being bitten.
Such a happy experience:astonished:

Seriously, though, didn't OP say there's a toddler in the house?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
C.fimbriatus, according to rumors and speculations (next to nothing bite reports available here, no matter if the species was/is pretty owned, so I'm basing this upon the few European ones I've heard/read) is an incredibly potent species.

Imagine a 'pokie', on that sense. Heart issues may enter as well, altough isn't written.

Again, at the end the statement is this, when it comes to venom potency: I was never tagged (just like the majority of the users here) so I do not have first hand/finger (ih ih) directly experience to share, therefore everything is based upon what we had read during years :bored:

My opinion is: don't get tagged, but, more important, when/if you think will rain, grab an umbrella nonetheless = problem solved :pompous:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
C.fimbriatus, according to rumors and speculations (next to nothing bite reports available here, no matter if the species was/is pretty owned, so I'm basing this upon the few European ones I've heard/read) is an incredibly potent species.
My fimbriatus is the most hateful animal in my collection, even more so than my dehaani. I filled her water dish and she ran over to it slapping everything and spilling the water out of the dish :shifty:. When I closed the enclosure she slapped the lid a few times for good measure and sat in a threat pose outside her enclosure for a decent while before calming down.

TheDarkLordOfMuffins

Arachnopeon
Such a happy experience:astonished:

Seriously, though, didn't OP say there's a toddler in the house?

There is but my invert section in our bedroom is completely in accessible to him and he knows not to go near as we had some teaching with my b.hamorii. If I say "Be careful she can hurt you" he stays back. Only time he didnt the lid was closed and she was still in my lap as i was checking if she was in premoult and said to him she won't eat so he held a cookie up to the enclosure XD

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
kaeng krachan
I have one of these. Like every other T in my collection she will retreat because I give them adequate hiding space. In this species' case I have 6 inches of sub in a XL kk with a half cork tube as a starter burrow. she quickly burrowed to the bottom and made u-turn all the way to the front. She sits in the mouth of the burrow when hungry but will duck down into her burrow if I don't open the top carefully. She has never shown any aggression toward me.

TheDarkLordOfMuffins

Arachnopeon
I have one of these. Like every other T in my collection she will retreat because I give them adequate hiding space. In this species' case I have 6 inches of sub in a XL kk with a half cork tube as a starter burrow. she quickly burrowed to the bottom and made u-turn all the way to the front. She sits in the mouth of the burrow when hungry but will duck down into her burrow if I don't open the top carefully. She has never shown any aggression toward me.
awesome i currently have a geo maxi tank to house her in and might give her something bigger if she gets huge i hate putting spiders in mega tiny spaces if they can have loads of room to move and hide