How to Tell if a Scorpion is Mature

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This may seem like a simple question, but how does one tell when a scorpion is mature (specifically when a female is mature)? I know in many species there is sexual dimorphism, so males tend to be fairly easy to figure out when they reach that point, but is there a way to easily tell with the females? For simplicity's sake (or complexity's sake to be honest) let's focus on buthids, which make things even more difficult by maturing at different instars sometimes.

I have lots of little scorplings and just got some to adulthood, but unfortunately I didn't keep track of their instars as well as I should have. Two I have already confirmed as male, while the third I'm almost positive is female, but I don't know if she's ready for a male yet. I've introduced both males, but nothing has really happened. Granted, I haven't had a lot of time to watch them, but I haven't found any spermatophores yet either. Could the males possibly not be mature, even though they've been showing sexual dimorphism, or could it be that the female isn't mature yet and isn't' producing any pheromones to attract the males?

The species I have have (sub?)adults in right now is R. junceus, but I'm hoping this thread will shed a bit of light on other buthids as well for keepers who get their instars mixed up or do a poor job of keeping track like I just did.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
first pic is of mature female R junceus chela which in closed position will have no gap between manus + tarsus , 2nd is of mature male R junceus chela which only closes tightly at ends with a noticeable gap at back , 3rd pic is male on left + female on right to show the size difference in this species ( the male In pic is a Big male also ) lol hope this helps

Attachments

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I know that sexual dimorphism is present in R garridoi also but not sure if any others in this genus are
heres a pic of my R garridoi mating female on left + male on right Female is atleast twice his size also

Attachments

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That certainly does help! I think my female has one more molt then since she's about the same size as the male. Do you know how to tell in species without sexual dimorphism or is it just stick the male in there and see if the female is interested?

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
That certainly does help! I think my female has one more molt then since she's about the same size as the male. Do you know how to tell in species without sexual dimorphism or is it just stick the male in there and see if the female is interested?
Glad I could help ya out with the Junceus sexing. Not sure on species that display no signs of dimorphism but yeah I guess you'd just have to stick em together and find out lol

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Glad I could help ya out with the Junceus sexing. Not sure on species that display no signs of dimorphism but yeah I guess you'd just have to stick em together and find out lol
Well, as long as one of them isn't too aggressive towards the other it'll all be fine lol. Don't have to worry about that for a while still since all my other scorps are pretty young.