How to stop centipede destroying everything?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Did a quick forum search and couldnt see anything like this posted yet so hopefully im all clear.

I have 5 centipedes (2x Ethmostigmus Rubripes, 1x Cormocephalus Aurantipes, 2x Scolopendra Morsitans), and each one is doing fine and growing well. But my only issue is i dislike that they live in nothing but a container filled with substrate, buried hides and a water dish. I have tried in the past to make nice looking setups for them but particularly the Ethmostigmus just excavate everything and bury all the decorations under an inch of substrate. I wish to give them a more natural setup but without it being uprooted in the first week.

If you use more stable and solid subtrate than cocopeat, would they be more inclined to use a set burrow instead of constantly making new ones?

Is there a certain kind of substrate that any of you have found works well for this?

Are there any other ways to stop them tearing everything apart?

Thx for any tips

basin79

ArachnoGod
Did a quick forum search and couldnt see anything like this posted yet so hopefully im all clear.

I have 5 centipedes (2x Ethmostigmus Rubripes, 1x Cormocephalus Aurantipes, 2x Scolopendra Morsitans), and each one is doing fine and growing well. But my only issue is i dislike that they live in nothing but a container filled with substrate, buried hides and a water dish. I have tried in the past to make nice looking setups for them but particularly the Ethmostigmus just excavate everything and bury all the decorations under an inch of substrate. I wish to give them a more natural setup but without it being uprooted in the first week.

If you use more stable and solid subtrate than cocopeat, would they be more inclined to use a set burrow instead of constantly making new ones?

Is there a certain kind of substrate that any of you have found works well for this?

Are there any other ways to stop them tearing everything apart?

Thx for any tips
From my experience some will continually dig new burrows whilst some will be fine under a piece of cork bark and never/rarely burrow.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Find a way to anchor plants and hides to the base of the container. Especially build the layout of the enclosure first, then fill in with substrate. This will prevent the lil bulldozers from uprooting all your awesome work. Can’t destroy what they can’t move.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Find a way to anchor plants and hides to the base of the container. Especially build the layout of the enclosure first, then fill in with substrate. This will prevent the lil bulldozers from uprooting all your awesome work. Can’t destroy what they can’t move.
Its more that they will bury it, my largest Ethmostigmus doubled the height of its substrate in a few days from regular digging. I worry even if i fix the decor in place it will still be obscured by substrate

basin79

ArachnoGod
Most likely won't be it but make sure their enclosures aren't too warm.

Roy Hansen

Arachnopeon
this is my subspinipes "home" . live plants and between 10-15cm substrate , it just dig a hole in one of the inner corners where its dark. no destructon or rampage her e:)

Attachments

Last edited:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
this is my subspinipes "home" . live plants and between 10-15cm substrate , it just dig a hole in one of the inner corners where its dark. no destructon or rampage her e:)
Absolutely beautiful enclosure! Maybe the pede recognizes how beautful it is and doesnt want to destroy it? :p

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Do you find that it spends much time climbing like it is in the picture? Maybe that's a good enrichment idea for the rest of us.

Roy Hansen

Arachnopeon
Do you find that it spends much time climbing like it is in the picture? Maybe that's a good enrichment idea for the rest of us.
usually when it's out for a nightcrawl it climbs . ive seen people say they dont climb , but in the wild they have to climb to get over a log or rock so i would say its natural simulation for them :rolleyes::p

Attachments

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I wonder if that has to do with the roots inhibiting burrowing...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Roy Hansen

Arachnopeon
I wonder if that has to do with the roots inhibiting burrowing...

Thanks,

Arthroverts
i thought about that too , but it did it before i added plants to the enclosure about a year ago. it burrowd half a bodylength and backed out walked around and went back too its corner tunnel :)

i thought about that too , but it did it before i added plants to the enclosure about a year ago. it burrowd half a bodylength and backed out walked around and went back too its corner tunnel :)
If thats the case, just put some ground moss in there. Remember to get it from a clean site though!