How to sex Ancylometes bogotensis subadult

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hello,

i have some (7) subadult A. bogotensis (now 9 cm, about 4 inch legspan) Who has the key to sexing these beauties?

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

i use the exuvia. take a exuvia from freshly molted spider and try to roll out the skin of the opisthosoma - be careful, that nothing get damaged - and than just take a look inside with a good magnifying-glass.
in case of a female you will see little epigynal structures...

but in case you really speak about SUBadult - only one more molt to go - it's muche more simple. males have recognizable bigger palps in this stage than females...

bye, oli

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Agree on everithing said by revilo, even though the molt analysis i think is more useful in mygalomorphs. As he said, male in araneomorphs are more easily recognizable by the palps which become increasingly enflated in males, as the molts go by. Such difference can be noticed, even though slightly, even in younger males.
This one i'd say is definitely a female. A. bogotensis has a pretty noticeable sexual dimorphism.

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Agree on everithing said by revilo, even though the molt analysis i think is more useful in mygalomorphs. As he said, male in araneomorphs are more easily recognizable by the palps which become increasingly enflated in males, as the molts go by. Such difference can be noticed, even though slightly, even in younger males.
This one i'd say is definitely a female. A. bogotensis has a pretty noticeable sexual dimorphism.
Ok this is what im gonna do, make a pic of every single one i have and let you tell me if its male or female....{D Are you willing to do so?

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

i think that this is not neccessary because like tarantula hawk mentioned there is a dimorphism - but i think he mean dichromatism, isn't it ;) -

the males prosoma is brown with BROAD LATERAL WHITE BANDS !
thanks for reminding tarantula hawk !
even though there is a dimorphism too - males are more filligran - but i think without experience this is hard to see before adult stage...

cheers, oli