How to remove vaseline from a tank

scaledverts

Arachnopeon
Hello -

Like most roach keepers, I have struggled with how to remove Vaseline from a roach tank either after I have changed tanks or when I need to replace the Vaseline. I stumbled upon a solution that works!

I started with removing all the Vaseline that I could with a few wipes of a paper towel. Then I used the purple "Method all purpose" cleaner (I purchased at target, but I think it can be found elsewhere). I sprayed the cleaner on the walls of the tank and again wiped with a paper towel. I then sprayed a second time with the cleaner and used a sponge to remove any remaining Vaseline from the walls. You might have to repeat the last step depending on how much you initially put on. I rinsed the tanks really well and let them air dry and the Vaseline line was gone!

I hope this helps everybody. I am sure there are other cleaners that will work, but I choose the method brand because it is less toxic than others. I am also sure that there are other techniques that work, this is just what worked for me.

Kyle

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
well that kinda sounds dangerous because the residue from the ? purple cleaner? could get on the colony and when ya feed it to the Ts it could poison them.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The easiest way, by far, is to use rubbing alcohol. It takes Vaseline right off. No hassle, and it's cheap too. It's highly volatile so you don't have to worry about any residue either. Win-win-win situation. :)

scaledverts

Arachnopeon
well that kinda sounds dangerous because the residue from the ? purple cleaner? could get on the colony and when ya feed it to the Ts it could poison them.
Nope, no residue. To the best of my knowledge. And the good thing about that particular cleaner is that it is non-toxic and biodegradable (of course this is in reference to humans and domestic pets in terms of toxicity).

scaledverts

Arachnopeon
The easiest way, by far, is to use rubbing alcohol. It takes Vaseline right off. No hassle, and it's cheap too. It's highly volatile so you don't have to worry about any residue either. Win-win-win situation. :)
Yeah, that makes sense too. Like I said, I am sure there are other methods that work well too.

Irfin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Vaseline is hydrophobic, aka non-polar. Use a non-polar volatile solvent like an alcohol (methanol, isopropyl, ethanol) or acetone. Be careful as some solvents will dissolve acrylic and other plastics, especially acetone. Volatile means it will evaporate quickly leaving nothing behind. Soaps will work but do not have the penetrating power of a solvent. Surface area is the issue.

Nothing beats mechanical force.