How to remove baby crickets in tank?

Staples

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

When I put the adult crickets in for one day, they always seem to be able to sneak in a few eggs. Now I got these little pinhead crickets running around the tank, and I can't seem to get all of them. What can I do to try and prevent this?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keep the tank a little dryer than you are. Crickets lay aggs in moist substrate so if you keep the substrate drier, even if they do lay eggs, the eggs won't develope.

Falyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
to prevent thats easy only put the males in... to get them out lil more difficult and it involves a spoon and a cup {D lol might end up having to switch the sub out.
Wha kind of sub are ya using? anything dry they will die on but if its fairly high humidity they will go nuts n just keep living in.
Falyn

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had this problem as well. I think the momma crix laid eggs under the water dish where it's always moist. The advice i got (i think from Talkenlate) was to remove a little soil from under the dish so the water dish is level with the soil. Keep everything else in the tank dry as possible, if necessary increase ventilation to dry things out. The crix will crawl into the water and drown. Keep changing the water several times a day and you will get most of them. If there's wet soil under the dish remove that soil as there may be more eggs in it. This worked very well for me.

Also when feeding females i cut off their egg laying straw (i forget what it's called) before i put them in. I'm not sure if this prevents them laying eggs or not but i like to think it does.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also when feeding females i cut off their egg laying straw (i forget what it's called) before i put them in. I'm not sure if this prevents them laying eggs or not but i like to think it does.
It doesn't prevent it. I know someone else who was doing the same thing...and still got little babies everywhere.

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i had the same problem i couldnt belive my eyes i was cleanin a tank out. and at first i thought it was a whole buncha mite type bugs. but they were baby crickets.. this woulndt pose any problem though right? i just left em in there.. good choice , bad choice? doesnt matter?????

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
baby crickets.. this woulndt pose any problem though right? i just left em in there.. good choice , bad choice? doesnt matter?????
Besides stressing the tarantula and polluting the cage with their waste (crickets are incredible producers of filth), I imagine they could kill a molting tarantula just as easily as one or two adult crickets can.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When this happened to me, once ever and in my bone dry G. Rosea's tank (so much for only developing in moist substrate). I scooped out the bulk and let the rest drown themselves in the water dish. If you put in a few water dishes they go right to them to drink and it works like cricket traps. Easy fix.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yet another incentive for a roach colony. Someday i will...

bluetubegroove

Arachnopeon
I may be reading this wrong, but you all keep crickets in your T's tank instead of seperate? I don't know anything about the matter, but is that bad for the T or not? And in the same pose, isn't that allowing the T to overfeed - Another bad thing? Like I said, probably reading things wrong. :?

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heres what works for me, I leave a big bowl of water submerged in the substrate, all the crickets fall in and can't get out just change the water and you're golden.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I may be reading this wrong, but you all keep crickets in your T's tank instead of seperate? I don't know anything about the matter, but is that bad for the T or not? And in the same pose, isn't that allowing the T to overfeed - Another bad thing? Like I said, probably reading things wrong. :?
You are. The crickets lay eggs in the substrate when a female who happens to be pregnant gets tossed in as food and isn't eaten immediately.

bluetubegroove

Arachnopeon
You are. The crickets lay eggs in the substrate when a female who happens to be pregnant gets tossed in as food and isn't eaten immediately.
That makes sense, And it sucks. I imagine you could get -really- picky with the pet store and tell them male only crickets, chances are they'd laugh at you though. >< I'll keep an eye out for that.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
some people pinch the oviposter on the female with a pair of tweezers. if its already too late, i drop an empty toilet paper roll in. the crickets like to hide on it then i pick it up and shake it into a plastic bag.

bluetubegroove

Arachnopeon
Saw something about that in the thread and did it ASAP. I don't want baby crickets in my T's tank.

kingfarvito

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
simply put dont take the T out and put him in a different container and abracadabra free feeders

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
simply put dont take the T out and put him in a different container and abracadabra free feeders
Well yes, except the stress to the T of moving it out of its home is far greater than leaving it where it is. I would not recommend this approach at all.