How to reduce humidity in a glass vivarium? H.Arizonensis query

georgie_81

Arachnopeon
Hi all

I have redesigned my scorpions home while she is housed in a smaller enclosure while it dries. I have been unable to reduce the humidity in the vivarium and will not want to introduce my scorp until its at an acceptable level for desert species (H.Arizonensis)

She has just finished molting so I have no plans to move her for a couple of weeks, and have ordered in infrared heat lamp to use instead of a heat mat which will arrive in a couple of days. Will the infrared heater remove some of the humidity? Its currently at 80% and needs to be around 50%. If this will not work, any other suggestions?

Cheers

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
A picture of your enclosure would help me see if I can spot any problems, keep a small water dish in there only once a week for a whole day.

georgie_81

Arachnopeon
Thank you - here is the set up. I haven;t added any water yet and usually only provide this once every two weeks:

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Infrared will remove a lot of humidity. Keep in mind that Hadrurus sp especially, burrow to get away from the heat. Usually it is much cooler and more humid in their burrows. You definitely want to be careful as they can develop mycosis but from what I have seen, a little humidity may help them.

georgie_81

Arachnopeon
Ah ok - I've just attached the infrared as it arrived early. So will keep this on for a few days and hope the humidity drops.

Thanks for the advice - can't wait to reintroduce her to her new enclosure once her exoskeleton has hardened

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
Yeah just give it a few more days if not a week for two for that substrate to dry out alittle more don't worry if you see moisture ate the bottom that's normal. but I'd just wait until humidity Levels reach about 40-50%

georgie_81

Arachnopeon
Humidity now down to 40% so will maintain between this and 50% - thanks for the advice

Stugy

Arachnolord
I read the title and for some reason I came up with the idea with getting sphagnum moss and placing them inside the tank. They will suck up the water and you can remove them for later use such as tropical species ;). My mind likes regurgitating stupid stuff like that. :p

dave veljacic

Arachnopeon
Hey there, I always use a small aquarium air pump for my vivs and incubators. It really helps with circulation and for keeping the humidity in check. Have the airline output at the bottom of the tank, You can split the line in two and have the outputs on either end as well.