How to properly power feed a t??

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wanted to try this at least once in my experience since I've heard many do it. So question is how to properly do this without long term side effects or problems?? Im feeding a good 5.5'' pulchripes. Trust me she can put some crickets down.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
how to properly [powerfeed] without long term side effects or problems
You will get as many opinions as there are spider species. IMO, powerfeed = long term side effects and/or problems.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Theres nothing conclusive with that. The only thing is that high calorie intake tends to shorten life span in animals.

But you can feed her as much as she wants till she gets to adulthood. Nothing bad with that.

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice peeps :) Just making sure i do not make any mistakes here. Plus this is going to be a one time thing so it should not hurt her in the long run. Btw fran you said as much as she can take until adult hood?? Well shes already an adult at 5.5'' and most likely mature... Im really trying to get to the 8inch mark in less time then usual. I know this species is slow growing thats the purpose of me wanting to powerfeed.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't give her a mass amount of prey all at once. Instead offer her 1-2 items every couple days, then progress to offeering her 1 item daily until she stops taking them. The offer 1 item every few days to she if she is still receptive to prey.
As far as long term effects of feeding tarantulas well, we will have to wait for the next 20-30 years of research and testing to provide some evidence.

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't give her a mass amount of prey all at once. Instead offer her 1-2 items every couple days, then progress to offeering her 1 item daily until she stops taking them. The offer 1 item every few days to she if she is still receptive to prey.
As far as long term effects of feeding tarantulas well, we will have to wait for the next 20-30 years of research and testing to provide some evidence.
I will try this thanks!! :D

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im probably going to do some power feeding with my female P. fasciata, and female obt's, so that way the females are large as possible before the males mature...then i will slow down the feeding...

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if this is the route you choose to go, try feeding your pulchripes the same way you would feed a parahybana..... 1 to 3 or 4 crix or roaches 2 to 3 times a week. also maybe up the temp a bit because warmer temps speed up their metabolism and makes them hungrier....

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Theres nothing conclusive with that. The only thing is that high calorie intake tends to shorten life span in animals.

But you can feed her as much as she wants till she gets to adulthood. Nothing bad with that.
So, when your tarantula's abdomen is so large that it causes abrasions that's not conclusive?

I find it strange that people need conclusive proof, written papers before using caution. Most things suffer due to excessive eating. What I find worrying with this disregard for common sense is by the time the information is available to suggest conclusively that overfeeding is bad, the damage will already have been done.

Caution is a free tool available to everyone and if it favours health I'll not use it sparingly :)

Having said that I don't see a problem with power feeding in the short term.

DamoK21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So, when your tarantula's abdomen is so large that it causes abrasions that's not conclusive?

I find it strange that people need conclusive proof, written papers before using caution. Most things suffer due to excessive eating. What I find worrying with this disregard for common sense is by the time the information is available to suggest conclusively that overfeeding is bad, the damage will already have been done.

Caution is a free tool available to everyone and if it favours health I'll not use it sparingly :)

Having said that I don't see a problem with power feeding in the short term.
You cant use that argument, we all need proof on somthing ;P

Now for my 2 cents, and 50 dollor mwahahahaha....

There is always the bad side brought up on subjects like this, but if one person here can say they have never power fed a T then im pritty sure you are porky telling {D

I power feed to maximize growth, get the females up there in size for breeding and so on, i also powerfeed slings, im yet to lose a spider through powerfeeding, it strikes me that either argument is even plausable. Refering back to poxicators proof argument, either way it all comes down to that, if it didnt, then im sure this hobby would be a sham ... And how many times have i seen many of you ask for proof, is beyond the money i earn in a year.... So to say the least, unless hardcore proof is put forward, the only dangers i can honestly see, is OTT powerfeeding which was mentioned by poxicator, and human error... other than that, just be responcible on how you do powerfeed, and how you set up the enclosure to minamize a chunky bum spider from having a fall :)

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never had that problem. Ever.
but I'm sure you recognise that it has been recorded?

What of Stanley Schultz's claim in TTKG "In some of the African species, for instance, power-fed males reportedly mature too quickly to gain any significant size. For those species known to mature at a smaller size, power feeding should probably not be done except during the very youngest instars..."