How to properly house a goliath bird eater ?

Amanda0322

Arachnopeon
What substrate should I use for my goliath bird eater and what should I put in the enclosure? Would live plants be a good idea?

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
What substrate should I use for my goliath bird eater and what should I put in the enclosure? Would live plants be a good idea?
You should keep the theraphosas as you would any other tropical species. Provide a good 5-6" or so of moist substrate and a cork bark hide. The substrate is up to you. I used eco earth for my t.stirmi and i tried the jungle mix for my t.apophysis. Both work really well to retain moisture but you can use plain old top soil if you want to. Just make sure it doesn't have any fertilizer in it before adding to enclosure. Also make sure you have plenty of ventilation to avoid mold and fungus growth. There is nothing difficult about keeping this species as long as the substrate stays moist and the tarantula has a good hide you shouldn't have any issues. By the way what specie is it, I presume t.stirmi. plants are up to you, I don't use live plants in my theraphosa enclosures.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Large rubber made tote is the best enclosure I could find for mine. For substrate I would use jungle mix, which is available at every pet shop. It’s made to be moist without molding, which will prob happen with most regular substrate. I have 6-7 inches of substrate in with my adult that is kept moist all the way down to the bottom. Use only plastic or other materials in there that won’t mold. A large water dish is obviously a must. Isopods and springtails are great to add to keep everything clean.

Amanda0322

Arachnopeon
You should keep the theraphosas as you would any other tropical species. Provide a good 5-6" or so of moist substrate and a cork bark hide. The substrate is up to you. I used eco earth for my t.stirmi and i tried the jungle mix for my t.apophysis. Both work really well to retain moisture but you can use plain old top soil if you want to. Just make sure it doesn't have any fertilizer in it before adding to enclosure. Also make sure you have plenty of ventilation to avoid mold and fungus growth. There is nothing difficult about keeping this species as long as the substrate stays moist and the tarantula has a good hide you shouldn't have any issues. By the way what specie is it, I presume t.stirmi. plants are up to you, I don't use live plants in my theraphosa enclosures.

Amanda0322

Arachnopeon
It's a theraphosa blondi .. good thing i asked here because the place I bought it told me just to put substrate to cover the bottom of the tank but it seemed to basic and it doesn't really have places to hide so I will go an buy that tomorrow.

Amanda0322

Arachnopeon
It's a theraphosa blondi .. good thing i asked here because the place I bought it told me just to put substrate to cover the bottom of the tank but it seemed to basic and it doesn't really have places to hide so I will go an buy that tomorrow.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Looks like T. stirmi to me, no hairs on the patella and the carapace/chelicerae look right. I would also say female, but the ventral photos are at a bit of a weird angle.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Hopefully you didn’t pay the blondi price.

Still a cool spider. Their hairs are widely regarded as some of the worst in the hobby.

They eat well and can put on some size.

Mine’s kind of a jerk but I love her all the same.

Enjoy!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
There is a thing that I don't understand. I've noticed that here very often seems that the so called 'Goliath' T's (genus Theraphosa) are viewed as hard to care for or else

I fail to realize this. They just need a suitable (big) enough cage, good inches of slightly moist/moist substrate (I've said slightly moist/moist because here depends, consider always where 'you' live and how 'you' deal/live when it comes to Winter-furnace time) and a God damn it piece of cork bark.

They aren't (setae, size apart, and T.stirmi payed as T.blondi, lol) that hard to care nor so different from other tropical T's.

Amanda0322

Arachnopeon
Hopefully you didn’t pay the blondi price.

Still a cool spider. Their hairs are widely regarded as some of the worst in the hobby.

They eat well and can put on some size.

Mine’s kind of a jerk but I love her all the same.

Enjoy!
How much do blondis go for about.. I buy all my tarantulas and reptiles from the same people so if they screwed me over I'm going some place else .. I just started buying tarantulas and don't know much about the species yet.. there are so many.. hopefully my other ones are what they told me