How to propagate sterile moss?

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I just collect moss from my yard, shake it off and use it. I want all the bugs and such. If you use 'sterile' everything the bad 'bugs' will most likely take over. Think mold, mites, decaying matter that is stinky, etc. By thoroughly cleaning the moss you upset the natural balance that keeps these things in check.

You may want to take a trip to another area to collect your moss that doesn't have so many creepy-crawlies. I must be lucky, we have a lot of moss on our acreage and it is beautiful stuff. Never has wormy things.

Last edited:

Farouche

Arachnosquire
The Bryophyta Nursery shop that I mentioned in the previous page released a video about one of the latest moss propagation setup they have on their land, they do mention the spore collecting they do to offer clay disks on their shop, among other info, if you're curious. I hope it's okay to share links:

This is for their clay-loving moss species but they have other setups for other types on their property. May be slightly adjacent to the topic but still cool to know if you're into moss!