How to Prevent Mycosis

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just noticed that one of my juvenile Babycurus gigas has some small white spots along its tail. I spot clean the enclosure every few days and there are plenty of springtails in there to finish off anything I missed. How else can I effectively prevent this from happening?

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
springtails don't help with mycosis. you want low humidity and high ventilation.
Thanks, I kind of figured those would be the only solutions. I keep them pretty well ventilated but perhaps I do keep the humidity a little higher than necessary out of fear of them desiccating.

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
Thanks, I kind of figured those would be the only solutions. I keep them pretty well ventilated but perhaps I do keep the humidity a little higher than necessary out of fear of them desiccating.
they get most of their moisture from their food, so desert species are not likely to desiccate.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Babycurus jacksoni is not a desert species, they are from slightly humid savannah habitat. I keep 2/3 of their enclosure dry and 1/3 damp. In scorpling cups i just mist one corner once a week.

Are you sure it’s mycosis and not poop? Their poop is also white, sometimes they get some on themselves. Mycosis is usually dark.

If it is actually mycosis though, it’s best to keep it dryer than you usually would, and have plenty of ventilation. In my experience they don’t dessicate quickly, so it’s fine to keep it dryer for a while.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Just noticed that one of my juvenile Babycurus gigas has some small white spots along its tail. I spot clean the enclosure every few days and there are plenty of springtails in there to finish off anything I missed. How else can I effectively prevent this from happening?
It's probably poop, Mycosis usually appears as black marks, and normally starts on the lower joints/ appendages. White marks along its tail more than likely poo.
As Joey says, Babycurus gigas is not a desert species and requires a humid environment, hence most unlikely Mycosis.