How to photograph? Tips/tricks?

viator80

Arachnopeon
I tried searching but couldn't find a thread relating to this. What accessories do you use, what is the best what to get nice tarantula shots? I have a Canon Rebel. What are your best tips/tricks?

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 09:38 AM ----------

Or link me to a thread?

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I think just basic photography principals should be taken into account. Having a good surface under your T, whether it's colored paper or its viv. Adjusting the lighting is also really important. One angle might make your T way too washed out and a slightly different one can just catch their "hairs" the right way to make a sweet shot.
If you're talking more about manipulating the T, I think just the basics there as well is what can help. Make sure that you're shooting low to the ground if it's not in its viv in case of it bolting to death. I am not too familiar with trying to get it in certain poses, I let mine do whatever they are doing and hope to get one good shot out of many.

viator80

Arachnopeon
I guess I meant more technical. Do you use a macro lens? Extension tube?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use an iPad, I get up close and personal. There is time that I get some nice threat posture from my spiders.

Jose

Last edited:

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
If you want to get technical just experiment! I have mainly used iPad as well. I think a macro lense, etc would just improve quality

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Get macro lense. I dont have one but i got a extension tube. Check my scorp pics out its about creativity that makes photograhs nice, not the lens though macro is essential for slings.

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
I have found that cropping an existing picture to "zoom it in" often helps, since I don't have a macro lens. This lowers the quality though, so the pic has to be good to begin with.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I like to use a super macro lens and I always like to mess around with my my shutter speed and ISO mostly but I dabble in aperture (exposure and such) here and there. I find using a High shutter speed is just a waste of lighting however if you have unsteady hands or are taking a really close shot then recommend at least 60 for shutter speed. proper lighting is crucial and can be difficult to work with in a lot of situations. You probably already know that high shutter speed and high ISO result in grain but I agree creativity makes the shot!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i myself dont like pictures taken but ofc i take them of my pics. they arent always the prettiest :rolleyes: but even with a slight zoom from my gs3 i can get every little hair on my 1.5 inch slings :) but then again i cant get a good pic of my ~3" genic to save my lif to much moving and on a rare occasion a walking threat pose XD

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a Kodak EasyShare Z650. Cheapo camera.

Takes decent shots though, and I use a super-high-tech tissue or paper towel folded up and taped over the flash to get the desired filtration for the picture.

The more recent 50 or so pictures in my picture thread (link in my signature) were taken using this technique.

Chevysbrew

Arachnopeon
I have a Kodak EasyShare Z650. Cheapo camera.

Takes decent shots though, and I use a super-high-tech tissue or paper towel folded up and taped over the flash to get the desired filtration for the picture.

The more recent 50 or so pictures in my picture thread (link in my signature) were taken using this technique.
Hi Im new to T's and not even that on photography(both are addictive jejeejje) Like your pix! We have a Nikon D3200 what macro lens would you recomend. Mid price range...
Thanks