how to over come

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Last night during feeding my C.marshalli was being very still, to still like a calm before the storm. I tossed in a cricket who knew his fate and stayed still until I nudged him. He responded promptly by jumping onto my C.marshalli and the scared T went running for the hills! After he covered 2 feet in roughly 1 second he paused. I was a little shocked (he has never done anything like this before) but remained calm reached for a catch cup and trapped him. I proceeded by turning his enclosure on an angle and prodding him into his house. The first time He rocketed in and out of his house but he slowly crawled into his home the second time. Adrenaline pumping? No, intense is a better word for it i think. Nonetheless staying calm was the most important thing. Much like I did when I got my C.marshalli (my only OW) I was afraid to rehouse him and that fear led to me running all the situations in my head of him escaping and biting and this Imagination of mine made it so much worse than it really was. My Advice, get up and do it! The longer you put it off the scarier your T will become and you will become even LESS likely to rehouse him, trust me on that.

scott99

Arachnoknight
Last night during feeding my C.marshalli was being very still, to still like a calm before the storm. I tossed in a cricket who knew his fate and stayed still until I nudged him. He responded promptly by jumping onto my C.marshalli and the scared T went running for the hills! After he covered 2 feet in roughly 1 second he paused. I was a little shocked (he has never done anything like this before) but remained calm reached for a catch cup and trapped him. I proceeded by turning his enclosure on an angle and prodding him into his house. The first time He rocketed in and out of his house but he slowly crawled into his home the second time. Adrenaline pumping? No, intense is a better word for it i think. Nonetheless staying calm was the most important thing. Much like I did when I got my C.marshalli (my only OW) I was afraid to rehouse him and that fear led to me running all the situations in my head of him escaping and biting and this Imagination of mine made it so much worse than it really was. My Advice, get up and do it! The longer you put it off the scarier your T will become and you will become even LESS likely to rehouse him, trust me on that.
your right, at least she a NW. She might be fast, but she not defensive

gobey

Arachnoknight
This
This
This

I have to rehouse a Poecilotheria today or tomorrow. Small one. But that's almost worse IMO because they're harder to find if they bolt. His enclosure is filthy with poo and mold is starting to grow and he's only a molt or two away from needing a new home anyways. Time to do it.

My first intense rehouse was a 4" MM OBT. And it was MEAN. But I was with a friend.

Other than that I've really mostly had to unpack and house fast feisty Ts. Big female OBT. She was cool about it. Big female H. mac. She was cool too.

Then my darlingi and marshalli. They're juvies though. Only 2~2.5". The Marshalli came out quick though. I'll have to rehouse him too at some point soon.

The Poecilotheria were only about an inch when they came. Other than that I've had OBT and H. mac slings.

My most troublesome Ts honestly for housing, escapes, etc. Were the OBT slings and a male A. avic I used to have. That guy could sense when the lid was off and he'd scramble right outside.

Anyway. You get used to it.

They're spiders. They really don't want to make contact with you. Even defensive ones. They'd all rather run. And if they do... You just cup them. Bugs in cups. Ever do that as a kid?

Keep calm. Grab a catch cup.

Your psalmo may get defensive. They have a reputation for that. So don't get complacent. Although I think cambridgis are the calmer ones compared to irminia yeah? I think I spelled both of those wrong.

awiec

Arachnoprince
A pissed off big spider in a small cage is much harder to deal with than a scared little spider in a smallish container. I don't care if they bolt, I'll just catch them, but if they are scared to the point where they want to bite and you have no wiggle room that is an issue. Even the fastest of spider do eventually stop, one of my T.gigas took off on me and I snatched it up in a vial right when it stopped, it did proceed to zip out and do a few laps on my hand but then went back into the container after a nudge. You might as well get used to the speed while they are small and fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) psamlos get more defensive when older so you won't have to worry about bolting as much.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P.cambridgei are calmer than irminia, but they can still be defensive. I've had multiple threat poses upon opening the containers of the 4 juveniles I own.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
as I said I just traded my adult pair of P.cambridgei to a friend. I had to talk the female into leaving her cork tube. shr took ALOT of prodding before she actually bit anything and she never did try to run.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
P.cambridgei are calmer than irminia, but they can still be defensive. I've had multiple threat poses upon opening the containers of the 4 juveniles I own.
I have two 1.5" slings, and both already gave me threat postures when I opened the lid to their enclosures, and they are skittish as hell.. think they might be less skittish and more defensive as they grow lol.. I have an adult female P. Irminia and she's shockingly calm and quite the curious one - think I got lucky with her lol

scott99

Arachnoknight
I open my P cambridgei's enclosure this morning, and gently prodded with a paint brush and like lightning she turner around and given me a threat pose. My P cambridgei seem be to moody, because some days when I prod her, she just run away and other days she give me threat poses.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I open my P cambridgei's enclosure this morning, and gently prodded with a paint brush and like lightning she turner around and given me a threat pose. My P cambridgei seem be to moody, because some days when I prod her, she just run away and other days she give me threat poses.
Well stop poking her!

:p

awiec

Arachnoprince
Exactly what are you doing to need to prod her that much? You got her/it several weeks ago correct? My spiders get prodded 1-3 times year depending on how often I need to rehouse, I've managed to do most of my cleaning without having to hold back or prod anyone. A happy spider is one that you leave alone, I know I'd start slapping and threatening to beat you up if you constantly poked me.

scott99

Arachnoknight
Exactly what are you doing to need to prod her that much? You got her/it several weeks ago correct? My spiders get prodded 1-3 times year depending on how often I need to rehouse, I've managed to do most of my cleaning without having to hold back or prod anyone. A happy spider is one that you leave alone, I know I'd start slapping and threatening to beat you up if you constantly poked me.
You are right, I need to stop bothering my Ts.

awiec

Arachnoprince
You are right, I need to stop bothering my Ts.
Both of you will be happier for it, you minimize the chances of a bite or the spider escaping and hurting itself. If you want to practice manipulating spiders, go catch some wild ones, it's spring time and love is in the air for all the juvies (now adults) who over-wintered. Once you can catch some lycosids, you can catch anything.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Both of you will be happier for it, you minimize the chances of a bite or the spider escaping and hurting itself. If you want to practice manipulating spiders, go catch some wild ones, it's spring time and love is in the air for all the juvies (now adults) who over-wintered. Once you can catch some lycosids, you can catch anything.
That was one of my early steps in overcoming arachnophobia -- cupping any and every spider that got into the house. And now at work, I get called when someone finds a spider (or any "creepy crawlie") loose so I can put it outside.

Btw -- maybe I am just weird this way -- but if I have a witness or someone watching -- I am somehow braver than when alone.
Even though I am still catching the critter without any assistance -- just having someone observe somehow makes me less nervous.
Anyone else have that experience?
Just me? Oh well.