How to move a speedy juvenile?

Luke092601

Arachnopeon
So I just got a new B. Vagans and he is rather fast and the cage I have him in is about five inches high. I am having trouble moving him from the cage because I put a paintbrush tip on his abdomen and he scurries up to the top of the cage and he tries to escape, I can't find a way to get him out so I can re do his enclosure. Any tips?

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
So I just got a new B. Vagans and he is rather fast and the cage I have him in is about five inches high. I am having trouble moving him from the cage because I put a paintbrush tip on his abdomen and he scurries up to the top of the cage and he tries to escape, I can't find a way to get him out so I can re do his enclosure. Any tips?
Put a container about half the size of the enclosure in and leave him alone with it. When he climbs in, slowly and gently cover the opening and remove your T. Make sure whatever container he is in is well ventilated.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I need to do a rehouse from a smaller cage (or just remove a T for maintenance) I start by putting the cage in a large rubbermaid-type storage tote. That way, if the spider gets away from me, it's a lot easier to recapture. Since your little guy is already climbing the walls, let him do it - but put a capture cup or container of some sort on the other side of the wall and let him climb into it, then pop on a lid.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Patience is key. My husband has a vagans and it took a few hours of leaving her alone and checking back until she was in just the right position to gently coax her into the small container.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
When I need to do a rehouse from a smaller cage (or just remove a T for maintenance) I start by putting the cage in a large rubbermaid-type storage tote. That way, if the spider gets away from me, it's a lot easier to recapture. Since your little guy is already climbing the walls, let him do it - but put a capture cup or container of some sort on the other side of the wall and let him climb into it, then pop on a lid.
Smart! And surely a lot faster than my idea.

Luke092601

Arachnopeon
Put a container about half the size of the enclosure in and leave him alone with it. When he climbs in, slowly and gently cover the opening and remove your T. Make sure whatever container he is in is well ventilated.
That is a good idea, I was just trying to coax him into a small cup I had in the kitchen... Thanks :)

Luke092601

Arachnopeon
That is actually is a really good idea, thank you!

Luke092601

Arachnopeon
Patience is key. My husband has a vagans and it took a few hours of leaving her alone and checking back until she was in just the right position to gently coax her into the small container.
Yeah I am waiting right now for him to climb back down to get him into a cage

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
I know this is very unconventional but it's cool and relates to the topic at hand, what I saw one large scale bulk collector do is use a large clear plastic tote with the enclosure inside he would place the lid on and he cut arm holes for gloves(like what they use for sick babies) Then he would be able to work the T out of its enclosure without any chance of an escape. He demonstrated this with P.murinus

Last edited:

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
I know this is very unconventional but it's cool and relates to the topic at hand, what I saw one large scale bulk collector do is use a large clear plastic tote with the enclosure inside he would place the lid on and he cut arm holes for gloves(like what they use for sick babies) Then he would be able to work the T at of its enclosure without any chance of an escape. He demonstrated this with P.murinus
I have been contemplating using a glove box. I have experience with them for culture transfers and thought it might be useful for some of the more feisty tarantulas. Glad someone is using it successfully.

Luke092601

Arachnopeon
I know this is very unconventional but it's cool and relates to the topic at hand, what I saw one large scale bulk collector do is use a large clear plastic tote with the enclosure inside he would place the lid on and he cut arm holes for gloves(like what they use for sick babies) Then he would be able to work the T out of its enclosure without any chance of an escape. He demonstrated this with P.murinus
that's cool!

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
I am definitely gonna do this when I get some faster Ts. currently the fastest I have is a GBB which Ive been able to rehouse without much fuss.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
You guys realize that any gloves that are thick enough to prevent the T from biting through are likely to be too wieldy to work with the tools needed for the move. Any gloves that aren't very thick will off no more protection then you bare hand would have. So it wouldn't offer protection from bites for any but the smaller Ts that might not yet be able to bit through the gloves.

The only benefit you would have with this setup is the T wouldn't be able to leave the confines of the box. Which given the cons doesn't seem that useful to me.

IMO if your worried they will make a break take them to the bath tub. Block the drain (you don't want to lose a T this way) and move them there. I use a catch cup and lid/cardboard to move my Ts. Place the cup over the T. Remove anything you need to to get the lid under the T. Move T to the new enclosure. Point the cup near something solid in the new enclosure the T can walk on. Open bottom and work the T out of the cup. Most of them will go for a 'safe spot' in the new enclosure and hide. If they make a break use the cup to catch or block. Then work them back in.

Last edited:

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
You guys realize that any gloves that are thick enough to prevent the T from biting through are likely to be too wieldy to work with the tools needed for the move. Any gloves that aren't very thick will off no more protection then you bare hand would have. So it wouldn't offer protection from bites for any but the smaller Ts that might not yet be able to bit through the gloves.

The only benefit you would have with this setup is the T wouldn't be able to leave the confines of the box. Which given the cons doesn't seem that useful to me.

IMO if your worried they will make a break take them to the bath tub. Block the drain (you don't want to lose a T this way) and move them there. I use a catch cup and lid/cardboard to move my Ts. Place the cup over the T. Remove anything you need to to get the lid under the T. Move T to the new enclosure. Point the cup near something solid in the new enclosure the T can walk on. Open bottom and work the T out of the cup. Most of them will go for a 'safe spot' in the new enclosure and hide. If they make a break use the cup to catch or block. Then work them back in.
I was thinking the same thing. Only good for preventing escapes. Depending on fang size, gloves not that useful for bites.

Luke092601

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone on the help! I got him into a cage so I could re do his cage, it was a matter of putting his cup hide in there then moving him along with a pencil eraser until he went in the hide, i picked up the hide and then out him in another cage for holding while I did the new setup. Pretty easy but the little guy is feisty. Thanks everyone

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Thanks everyone on the help! I got him into a cage so I could re do his cage, it was a matter of putting his cup hide in there then moving him along with a pencil eraser until he went in the hide, i picked up the hide and then out him in another cage for holding while I did the new setup. Pretty easy but the little guy is feisty. Thanks everyone
Glad to hear it went well.