HOW TO LURE PRAYING MANTIS

dannygoblin34

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know how to bait praying mantis in the area to come nearby? there's grassland next to my house but there's no mantis at all, I'm not sure I didn't see them or they are just not there. any idea how to lure them out from their hidings?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It isn't possible, you must search for them. Adult males are sometimes attracted to lights in the late summer.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
You need to get a mantis call. Be sure to Set up a hunting blind as well and mask your smell. They are like deer. They have a heightened sense of smell and hearing.

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Does anyone know how to bait praying mantis in the area to come nearby? there's grassland next to my house but there's no mantis at all, I'm not sure I didn't see them or they are just not there. any idea how to lure them out from their hidings?
I usually have the most luck looking in the grass with a strong headlamp right around sunset. They seem to climb higher into the shrubbery at this time, and I find them more easily.

dannygoblin34

Arachnopeon
I usually have the most luck looking in the grass with a strong headlamp right around sunset. They seem to climb higher into the shrubbery at this time, and I find them more easily.
thanks for the info, hmm sadly i dont have any strong headlamps, just a normal flashlight :(

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Get a Herpyllus ecclesiasticus (parson spider) and announce an invert worship service.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Most of the time a light shining onto a white bed sheet at night near the area will bring in insects.

Also you can make a drag net and sweep the grassland near you. This will also collect insects.

I found my nymph in broad daylight, by absolute pot luck. I was only gardening when I noticed her. I never expected to find her, as I usually see them at night when the lights are on, and they are always fully grown. I saw two others when I found her, (about the same size), so expected an ootheca hatched a few months or so before. They are hard to find.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
+1. In general, it's easiest to find foliage-dwelling insects like mantids by shining a light at the vegetation at night. During the day they're almost impossible to spot unless you happen to look at just the right place at the right time, but shining artificial light on them at night disrupts their camouflage and makes finding them relatively easy.

For whatever reason, mantids seem to be easier to spot in this manner on cold, wet nights, like after it rains. Perhaps they move into more exposed spots when it's wet in an attempt to dry off, and retreat into thicker vegetation when its dry to stay hidden, or the cold temperatures just make them hang from plants more loosely in positions that make them easier to spot. I once found over 35 chinese mantids in a small patch of tall grass after it rained, then on a subsequent search on a dry night I only found a few.

Setting up a light sheet will attract mantids, but typically only adult males, which aren't particularly desirable as pets since they're much smaller and more short-lived than females.

Also, though not really relevant, there is another way to lure mantids: if you place a sexually receptive female outside, she'll release pheromones that will attract males from long distances.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Old thread but to anyone that ends up here:
I take a net and wave it through the tall grass and plants in suitable habitats. You'd be amazed what you pull up in broad daylight.

But, honestly, with the exception of non native species, I prefer to leave the wild animals in the wild. Especially with the decline of invertebrates in recent years.