How to lure out your tarantulas out of their burrows without even touching their enclosures...

Chris73G

Arachnopeon
So last night i was browsing some tarantula-related content and came across this short clip (YT-Link, german audio) where this guy said he can lure his tarantulas out by crunching an (empty) bag of potato chips or something similar in front of their enclosure.
This sounded so wierd that i bought some potato chips for tonight and gave it a try with my albopilosum, which only leaves her burrow to quickly drag its prey into its burrow and which i havent seen in her full glory for months now. And guess what...i crunched that empty potato chip bag in front of her enclosure and she came out almost immediately. After she went back into her burrow i waited a while, crunched the bag again and again, she came out in no time o_O .
The guy says in the comments that he thinks the crunching bag resembles the noise/feel of rain pouring down on leaves and the tarantulas come out because they expect more humidity. I don´t know if thats true or if it is more of a feeding response because the crunching bag resembles the movement of prey (the way my albo came out of it burrow looked exactly like when she senses food), but either way, it works.

Obviously this probably won´t work for all tarantulas out there and at any given moment and you shouldnt be fooling your tarantulas like this all the time now, but if you just want to see it again after months or want to check abdomen size before feeding this might come in handy.

Last edited:

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I think that the vibrations resemble leaf litter crunching when a prey item starts moving around. If I flick my fingernails or crunch wrappers, some of my spiders will come out and try to attack it through the glass!

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
I've heard this before and tried it, it's pretty cool. Doesn't seem to always do it to all Ts, but it definitely gets a response. I think it's gotta be vibrations, too, all those little setae (hairs) pick up every little disturbance around.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
This is interesting.

I only have 2 T's that stay buried. My over 2 years old P. sp blue as it prefers to be fossorial and my used to be 1 inch Lasiodorides striatus.

The L. striatus molted recently as I can see the molt pushed against the side under the substrate. I really want to see the size gain. However the burrow entrance is sealed so not messing with it. In time I will try this method.

Last edited:

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
I've even have some of my spiders run towards farts (not from me of course.....).
Funny, my Grandfather always refered to them as "spider barks." Always the gentleman, we simply didn't discuss such things. But every once in a while "hmmph..spiders are barking again," & a sensible giggle was had by all.