How to lower the humidity?

Casandra

Arachnopeon
In both of my enclosures the humidity is between 65 and 80%. It depends on the temperature in the room, and the level of humidity raises when I turn off the heating (when I'm not at home). The species I have is a Lasiodora Parahybana/Klugi and a G. Rosea. I feel bad for the Rosea because I know she likes dry habitat.

I'm new to this hobby, so don't shoot me! ;)

The substrate is peat/soil, and the enclosures has never been moistened in any way.

I have placed a heat pad on the side of one of the enclosures, but since I've got 15 cm layer it takes time to dry it completely... Got any advice?

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't worry too much about ambient room humidity - - tarantulas are really very adaptable in that regard. Here in FL, the normal air humidity is at least as high as yours and I don't know of any keepers here that attempt to lower the natural humidity. Roseas aren't fond of wet conditions for sure, but as long as you're not adding water to the substrate (that's where they like it to be dry) then I think you'll be fine.

I would still include a water bowl as well though that can potentially raise humidity - My best advice is to just increase the ventilation if that is possible. If it's in the normal acquarium with a screen lid, then you're already good to go.

Waxen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Musicwolf basically gave you the best advice possible. Keep the substrate dry and provide fresh water in a dish. Humidity inside the cage is lowered by providing more ventilation. It sounds like you don't have anything to worry about at this juncture.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If your substrate is still a little moist from rehydrating it will take a little time to dry out, but it will eventually get there. If you find your G. rosea is climbing the walls you might want to aid the drying process by increasing the ventilation and perhaps drying out some more substrate in the oven and placing on top of the existing substrate.