How to look after a wakeful queen wasp

orcadian

Arachnopeon
I have a dozy queen wasp that - due to mild temperature in my flat - became active enough today to fly up into the window. I have her in a jar and am wondering what to do. Does she need a feed, and if so, what? Or will this completely break her hibernation and kill her? Should I place her in my fridge, at 4deg C? Help!

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
Do you intend to keep her as a pet??
If so maybe try keeping like you would a really big ant. Like maybe just some sugar water. Idk sounds sketchy to me. The refrigerator is probably to cold suddenly for her I'd guess. I'd keep her room temperature. This is all guessing sense googling "How to keep wasps" only has results for keeping them away from you and your family.

Last edited:

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
Hey, I don't have much experience in keeping wasps, but I have kept lots of other insects. No A LOT of other insects. :D You could try keeping in in the fridge until spring. Also try honey as a food source. She may take it from the tip of your finger if she doesn't sting you!

orcadian

Arachnopeon
Thanks Ooze! No, not keep her as a pet but help her get through the winter. Only one wasp in 1000 is both mated and survives the winter. I feel it's a trust, like finding a migrating bird that didn't make it to Africa and you have to keep her alive till spring so that she can have her chance to reproduce

I did feed her some diluted honey but that made her very active and I can't keep doing it all winter. Fortunately it was very cold for a couple of nights after I posted and she became torpid again.

Thanks Shutout, too! In fact I have now read of someone who puts wasps in the fridge (which after all is no colder than a typical British winter) but you do have to watch the humidity. Fridges are too dry, so I put her in a large jar along with lots of wet kitchen roll. We shall see if she makes it. She certainly wouldn't hve done outside so I will have given her a chance, at least.