How to know if my jumper is eating?

ghostlyghoul146

Arachnopeon
Hiya,
Im new to owning jumping spiders. I have one phidippus adumbratus called Anansi. I’ve had him since the new year.

I’ve given him green bottle flies but the problem is I have no idea if he’s eating? I feed him every 2-3 days but haven’t seen any noticeable changes to him. Ive seen the bodies of the flies but other than that I’m a lil worried about my new guy. I’ve included some pictures below. Can anyone tell me if he’s well fed? Needs more? and also how to tell for future feedings

Attachments

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It's best if you can actually observe the take down. Is your enclosure small enough that he spots the fly right away?

CarrotsBiteBack

Arachnopeon
Not sure I'm fully educated enough to answer but this is drawn from my own experience.

I don't use green bottle flies - never heard of them - I feed my slings on bean weevils and I don't really see the take downs either, left me wondering like you. I then realised that our weevils were getting out through the vent holes so sometimes the T's weren't eating because they weren't quick enough. We started to then prekill the weevils and take a note where we left them, that way we could track what they were eating etc. Just a suggestion so you can be sure that your spider is getting something to eat. Partner just noted: sometimes the bolus is to small to see from FFF - again not sure on size of green bottles compared to FFF's.

Hope you get some progress with Anansi though!

magouilles

Arachnoknight
what I usually do to feed my jumpers is i give the prey in their range of sight so they see it right away
if they're hungry, they'll pounce on it right away and if they walk away, uninterested, i remove it

ghostlyghoul146

Arachnopeon
It's best if you can actually observe the take down. Is your enclosure small enough that he spots the fly right away?
his enclosure is fairly big. I usually put the fly near him, so it grabs his attention when it moves. I’ve thought about putting him in a clearer enclosure for when it’s time for him to eat but I think it might stress him out a bit.

M
what I usually do to feed my jumpers is i give the prey in their range of sight so they see it right away
if they're hungry, they'll pounce on it right away and if they walk away, uninterested, i remove it
My feeding tongs broke. I try to just grab the fly with my hand but if I try to put it too near Anansi it becomes a problem. I have difficulty with motor control sometimes so I worry about accidentally hurting him. The tongs help me steady my movement and if he’s uninterested I can remove it easily.

Not sure I'm fully educated enough to answer but this is drawn from my own experience.

I don't use green bottle flies - never heard of them - I feed my slings on bean weevils and I don't really see the take downs either, left me wondering like you. I then realised that our weevils were getting out through the vent holes so sometimes the T's weren't eating because they weren't quick enough. We started to then prekill the weevils and take a note where we left them, that way we could track what they were eating etc. Just a suggestion so you can be sure that your spider is getting something to eat. Partner just noted: sometimes the bolus is to small to see from FFF - again not sure on size of green bottles compared to FFF's.

Hope you get some progress with Anansi though!
Thank you! He’s a bit of a nervous baby but I’m hoping he warms up to me soon :)

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
his enclosure is fairly big. I usually put the fly near him, so it grabs his attention when it moves. I’ve thought about putting him in a clearer enclosure for when it’s time for him to eat but I think it might stress him out a bit.
Too big of an enclosure can be a problem. You typically want them small enough so the spider spots the prey and can reach it right away. Larger enclosures give the prey an opportunity to hide.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Just observe his abdomen size. If it gets small, it means he is not eating.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would reccomand trying crickets if he isn't going for the flies. I have 2 jumpers, and I'm kinda confused how you don't know if yours is eating. With both of mine, P. audax, they zero in on food as soon as I drop it into the enclosure. I use crickets, and I always pinch off 1 back leg to make it a bit easier for the spider, as crickets can kick. But mine always pounce on the crickets immediately when I put them in.

Flies are kind of an odd food choice in captivity. They eat them in the wild, but flies are FAST and your jumper may be having trouble catching them. Mine are not secretive at all about feeding. Is there a reason you refuse to use crickets? Also, seeing the bodies of the flies doesn't mean much. They could just be dying.