How to kill crickets

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Does anyone know how to go about killing crickets without freezing them, my original thought was to throw them into a plastic and suffocate them but I don’t know how long that would take, I don’t want to smash them because I want them in good condition for when I feed them. So does anyone know of a more efficient way?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Does anyone know how to go about killing crickets without freezing them, my original thought was to throw them into a plastic and suffocate them but I don’t know how long that would take, I don’t want to smash them because I want them in good condition for when I feed them. So does anyone know of a more efficient way?
Make sure your hands are clean. Head between your finger and thumb and squish. You'll be able to get through loads in a minute. Although I've got to ask, why dead?

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Although I've got to ask, why dead?
My mom doesn’t like me feeding my Blue tongue live crickets inside, so I’ve got to put him in a bin take him outside then put the crickets in a bin. Today I want to feed him without taking him out so if I kill them I can just feed him in his enclosure.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Usually it’s movement that triggers the feeding response in the reptile. If they ate dead stuff, keeping them would be easier.

mellow

Arachnobaron
You could take a needle and stab the cricket in the neck (in between the head and the thorax) that works for me, should work for you too if you don't have a problem with brutally killing the crickets with a needle or anything, btw why don't you want to kill them in the fridge? 😃

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My bluey for whatever reason doesn’t like live insects all that much. She’ll eat waxworms and mealworms after vigorously shaking them for several minutes, but I pre-kill my crickets too. I don’t think it particularly matters that the body is in great shape so I just crush their heads with tongs.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Squeeze the head with tweezers.

I do it sometimes if I'm feeding a sling a cricket that got a little too big

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Usually it’s movement that triggers the feeding response in the reptile. If they ate dead stuff, keeping them would be easier.
In the wild blue tongues are also scavengers so they will eat anything they deem edible although their ways of deciding this can be a bit questionable. For example, I often catch mine trying to consume stationary objects that give off no odor whatsoever.
btw why don't you want to kill them in the fridge? 😃
Because my mom hated the notion of having “bugs” anywhere near food.