How to keep slings warm for autumn?

Sofia Carapia

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!

I need some help and advice. So I got two slings quite recently: Nhandu chromatus and Bonnetina papalutlensis 1 and 2 months old. Autumn is staring and where I live temperature’s around 68° F 20º C
The brewer told me that they both should be warm specially the Nhandu, so because of Covid I can’t really go out, any homemade advice to keep them warm? I currently have them in the warmest place in my house but I’m not sure.
I would appreciate the help,

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Keeping them at the warmest room will do. No need for heating pad. Just use a regular room heater. Good luck w ur ts 👍🏻

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
What is the temperature in that room?
Keep it to where you can be in your underwear and the slings will be fine.

Last edited:

Sofia Carapia

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I guess I’m just nervous btw, I haven’t seen the Bonnetina, should I worry? The sling used to at least go out at night but hasn’t.

Sofia Carapia

Arachnopeon
Around...21°c or 69°f
Hahahah, and yes I can be on my lightiest pijamas in that room. Thank you! :’D

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
Thank you! I guess I’m just nervous btw, I haven’t seen the Bonnetina, should I worry? The sling used to at least go out at night but hasn’t.
Nope. Slings burying themselves and hiding for weeks on end is normal behavior.

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
Fiu, thanks, It’s weird even after the research I still need reassurance. Thank you so much! :D
They can be intimidating to care for when they're small, especially when you're new. It is important to not "overly care." For example, don't dig them up to check on them, don't over-water them to keep it moist, etc.

Sofia Carapia

Arachnopeon
Yup, I don’t dig them out, only once to rehouse. I water them when I feel that the soil it’s not humid, I don’t let it dry out. Apart from moving the enclosure to water them I don’t really move them around. Thank you so much for the tips ☺

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
FYI you can use heat pads safely, I wouldn't personally because a space heater is much easier. I think @basin79 uses heat pads

Sofia Carapia

Arachnopeon
A space heater sounds like a better idea, if the temperatures drop down dramatically I’ll definitely use it. Thanks for your advice :D

basin79

ArachnoGod
Aye I use heat mats but if I had a room large enough I'd definitely use a space heater.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
They generally do fine in room temperature even in autumn and winter, I lost power for a few days once and the temperature dropped to the around the 50’s possibly a little lower and even then everyone was fine.

if you do ever use a heat mat, mount it to a larger enclosure on the sides and put your sling cups/vials,boxes inside, little micro climate inside of that, or put it on a wall and place the enclosures away from it but closer, don’t put them right against the heat pad. And no matter what don’t put a heat mat under the enclosures with them sitting directly on the pad.

GratefulSpider

Arachnopeon
there are some very safe, very reasonable priced space heaters on the market. i know a lot of people are a little anxious about them but i recently got one for the room i keep my T's in for $47 on amazon and it does an awesome job of keeping the room at a good temp in the evening when the temps drop.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
A space heater sounds like a better idea, if the temperatures drop down dramatically I’ll definitely use it. Thanks for your advice :D
How cold does your house get at night? I suspect you could move them to a higher shelf in the room or in higher location your home, too; your bio says you're in Mexico, how cold does it get?

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
there are some very safe, very reasonable priced space heaters on the market. i know a lot of people are a little anxious about them but i recently got one for the room i keep my T's in for $47 on amazon and it does an awesome job of keeping the room at a good temp in the evening when the temps drop.
I don't think the cost of one is the problem, it is the cost to run them.

GratefulSpider

Arachnopeon
you are probably right. i had never thought to purchase one and when looking into them they actually can get pricey depending on the brand/style/fuel/etc. i know a lot of people who are anxious about them due to horror stories of them falling over and catching fire of dogs/kids burning themselves on them etc. however the newer versions are very good about energy usage.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
if you are running any heat in the room and you are comfortable the Ts will be fine. If your room get's really cold, then alternate heating choices need to be made

Sofia Carapia

Arachnopeon
Hi! Mmm...I have no means to accurately determine how cold my house is, however it’s 19°C/66°F outside...I’ll say 2° more inside 🤷🏻‍♀️
I’m currently living in Michoacan which is about 3 hours away from Mexico City. I live in Mexico City however due to Covid my family and I had to temporarily move here, it’s kind of secluded into the forest, warmish during the day but at night it definitely drops to a good 14°C/57°F