How to keep B. Lateralis in small numbers

Fishfood0424

Arachnopeon
IMG_5930.JPG how do i keep a small number of red runner roaches thriving and is it possible to slow down their growth for a while? Thanks!

Walker253

Arachnobaron
They grow slower when kept cooler. The container is the same as a large colony, just smaller. Just keep them off the heat and you should be ok

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Even if you slow down their growth, they'll still out breed what you're able to feed off. Back when I didn't want a huge colony of dubia, I'd simply cull chunks of their population every month or so.

Ponkan

Arachnopeon
Where'd you get your runners? It's so hard to find them in Canada (specifically Manitoba).

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Where'd you get your runners? It's so hard to find them in Canada (specifically Manitoba).
They aren't legal to own or sell. Exotic roaches are only allowed into Canada for research or display in educational facilities like insectariums or museums.

The only way you could keep tropical roaches here is if you have an approved facility, they can basically only be used as displays. Commercial sale and distribution are not allowed.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I accidentally found out that they stop producing oothecae if the temps drop into the low 20's (Celsius) so if you want to curb their breeding then just keep them on the cool side.

They breed like crazy otherwise, I had a cull of MM roaches and then practically gave away enough to start up a colony and I still have too many lol.

Ponkan

Arachnopeon
They aren't legal to own or sell. Exotic roaches are only allowed into Canada for research or display in educational facilities like insectariums or museums.

The only way you could keep tropical roaches here is if you have an approved facility, they can basically only be used as displays. Commercial sale and distribution are not allowed.
Oh I see, thank you for the information! Are there any other alternatives I can feed my T's that aren't noisy and smelly?