How to keep a house spider?

Scribbler26

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, I'm new here and wondering if anybody could offer some advice.

I am very phobic of spiders, particularly house spiders (I am in the UK). I am determined to try and get over this, and thought it might be worth keeping the next house spider I find as a pet. I've had a read through the forum but can't find anything for absolute beginners. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what sort of tank to buy and what to put it in it? How often I should feed it etc?

Although I am terrified of spiders, I'm also slightly fascinated by them and I'm quite excited to give this a go. I don't want be inhumane in any way though and would like to do it correctly.

Thank so much for any help - I need all the help I can get getting over this!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I occasionally bring a house spider (Eratigena atrica) into captivity. They're phenomenal little spiders.

I use a 5.8lt tub (approx 7" square). Put an inch or so of moss peat on the bottom and put plenty of bits of fake plastic plants in as anchor points and a piece of cork bark. Doesn't take them long to web up. Feeding depends on the size of the spider and the size of the prey. I'd feed once a week with a large cricket.

Scribbler26

Arachnopeon
Thank you! That’s really helpful. This may be a very dumb question, but how do I avoid them getting out whilst feeding them?

Jadestone

Arachnosquire
Make sure that the spider isn't near the lid. Most will try to hide rather than escape when disturbed so you should be good.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thank you! Would something like this be suitable?
Yes, that should be fine - and the little feeding hatch makes escapes during feeding far less likely than if you had to remove the entire lid.

Good luck! You're doing exactly what I did to get over my fear of spiders (except in my case, it was a black widow spider that was my first spider pet - because that was the species I grew up fearing the most. Really amazing how quickly fear turned to fascination, after just a few days of observing her!)

Scribbler26

Arachnopeon
That’s really encouraging to hear thank you! Do you think you’d now be able to catch one? (Aka the superpower I’ve always wanted!)

The tank should be here tomorrow - now just to find one! :wideyed:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That’s really encouraging to hear thank you! Do you think you’d now be able to catch one? (Aka the superpower I’ve always wanted!)

The tank should be here tomorrow - now just to find one! :wideyed:
Catch a black widow... bare handed? No, I would never do that! There are plenty of other spiders I will sometimes catch bare-handed, but with widows, I'll stick to the cup-and-paper or stick-in-the-web methods of catching them, because while they are reluctant to bite, being abruptly picked up could easily be perceived as a threat - which could result in a defensive bite. (Even with other spiders, I usually prefer to catch them in a cup - just because they're so dang fast, so it's often easier to cup them than to try grabbing them, plus less risk of accidentally hurting them.)

Good luck!

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
I keep a bunch of house spiders. The enclosure is my house. (Pretty expensive, but I already had it just sitting around.) Their care needs are nonexistent and they tend to take care of themselves. Never even had to feed them. 5 out of 5 stars, easiest pets ever.:D
Seriously, I commend you for taking this step to overcome your fear and care for something that makes you uncomfortable. Good luck!

Scribbler26

Arachnopeon
The only thing I'd do would be to angle the plants down so your new mate webs the floor rather than moves up and webs all the top.
Thanks! I definitely don’t want webs all over the top if I want to stand any chance of opening the lid and feeding! :bear:

When you say ‘angle the plants down’ do you mean lay it on it’s side?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks! I definitely don’t want webs all over the top if I want to stand any chance of opening the lid and feeding! :bear:

When you say ‘angle the plants down’ do you mean lay it on it’s side?
Aye. Put the plant stems on or either side of that hide. The spider will then sheet up the bottom.

Dylan Fox

Arachnopeon
Aye. Put the plant stems on or either side of that hide. The spider will then sheet up the bottom.
Random question but do you know anyone who has macrothele gigas for sale as they are very rare in online shops. Also how do you post threads?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have kept them. I set up the enclosure pretty much as i do for a Gbb.