How to identify Pre molt is colourful species

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys I have a 2CM Caribena Versicolor
I dont know how to identify premolt as its colorful and you cant see not alot of black

louise f

Arachnoangel
I can be hard to tell, sometimes you can`t even see it, and before you know it, the T has molted. It is much easier to tell on adult T`s. The best way to tell is to watch out for a bald spot on the abdormen and when it turns shiny and black it wont be long.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
how can you see a lathargic t
They'll usually hide in their burrow or refuse food or move around rather slowly. I know my C. cyaneopubescens female (who never refuses food) is going to molt when I don't see her standing at the opening to her burrow or if she refuses food.

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
First times is harder to tell. But a sign is when it doesn't want food and colour looks dull.When you had your t for awhile, studied it and spent som time getting to know it, it will be easier to see.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
My avic never showed any kind of color change. It got a little slow, killed a cricket, pushed it out of its web, and i woke up the next morning to it molted. Fasting period was short. Avics can either be super obvious or it can eat one day and literally molt the next.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
One way to tell with this species many of them like to web up or close off their tube web entrances or openings before a molt.

cold blood

Staff member
The best way to tell is to raise a ton of little slings...the more you see it, the easier it is to identify.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Generally speaking, it'll refuse food, become less active, its colours will fade (in my P. irminia, the abdomen looks really faded on top, it has hints of grey and the orange is really muted), it'll probably be sporting some serious ghetto bootay, and it'll shut off all the exits of its web tube.

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
I know when mine is gonna molt because her belly gets massive- looks like she's pregnant :happy:and her colors get very dull. She also of course refuses to eat when she's in pre-molt

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
Mine looks pregnant before a molt- the belly gets massive! And her colors get very dull. She also, of course wont eat when in pre-molt.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I noticed the C. cyaneopubescens abdomens get super spherical as they enter pre molt(pregnant is a great description, another one mentioned is like a berry going to pop). When they make a distinct patch of new web, with or without a tent over it, they are going to molt within days.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Mine looks pregnant before a molt- the belly gets massive! And her colors get very dull. She also, of course wont eat when in pre-molt.
The term your looking for is gravid. If you know what a gravid tarantula looks like and your pre-molt Tarantula looks anything like that, you are feeding far too much. Obesity can cause many problems. Once it looks fat at all, stop feeding and wait for it to slim or molt till you feed again. Obesity is not a sign of pre-molt, it's easy to overfeed and have an obese Tarantula within weeks after a molt. This applies even more so with mature tarantulas.

Last edited: